Rubber Fuel Hose I.D.’s ???

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Conrad Carter
356 Fan
Tag: Let's be careful out there!

Rubber Fuel Hose I.D.’s ???

#1 Post by Conrad Carter »

I want to replace all the rubber fuel hoses with new cloth covered hose. What I.D. was used? About how much should I buy? Source for hose? I would measure it myself but my 63B T6 Coupe is stored 2 hrs away.
Conrad in NC

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

Re: Rubber Fuel Hose I.D.’s ???

#2 Post by Ron LaDow »

It's nominal 7mm, but unless the rubber-hose chem has changed, it's been noted for failing with ethanol-laced US fuel.
I use it where it is visible (leading to and from the fuel pump), just 'cause it doesn't look like the lines to Stromberg 97s on a flathead. And I can see it if it leaks. I use US 5/16 ', ethanol compatible elsewhere.
Regular 356 good-guy suppliers for the fabric-covered stuff; buy a couple feet if you want to do it like that. Your local FLAPS for the 5/16" stuff (or a web source; 10' will do it all).
(edit: put the sentence fragment back where it belongs)
Last edited by Ron LaDow on Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Erik Thomas
356 Fan

#3 Post by Erik Thomas »

I got the hose, hose collars and fittings from Belmetric. Tyngsboro MA. www.belmetric.com If you know someone with the crimping tool, you are all set.

The size on my car is nominal 8mm, but the hose is really about 7.5mm. They have a good online catalog

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#4 Post by Doug McDonnell »

1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Bob Cannon
356 Fan

#5 Post by Bob Cannon »

The problem of ethanol in gas and it's effects on fuel hose has been well discussed on this forum. The solutions available have been discussed less often. If you would like to keep the original look to your lines, look for braided hose which is ethanol resistant. Stoddard sells German Cohline hose which is safe for 10% ethanol in the correct sizes for our cars (both 7 mm ID and 7.5 mm ID - your choice).
Fuel line.jpg
You can also find it through other vendors, including your local Volkswagen Beetle rebuilder, just look for hose which is labeled "NBR" or "Nitrile". If you don't see those designations associated with the hose, don't buy it. I made the mistake of installing non-NBR hose on a restoration a few years ago and have had to replace all of the lines from the tank because of weeping gas associated with ethanol degregation of the rubber.
Bob Cannon
Sacramento, CA

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#6 Post by Dick Weiss »

I never had a problem w/the 7mm ID OEM braided fuel hose; Mine are still OK after 17-years on my 4-cam and no leaks, sweating.
and never using ugly clamps: On any rebuilds, I add Stoddard's hose end caps, crimping isn't needed, and they look much nicer!
Once the hose is added, you can't pull it off--like a Chinese finger puzzle.

!

Paul Lima
356 Fan

#7 Post by Paul Lima »

This is what I used to replace all the compromised (by ethanol in our gas) lines: https://ww2.gates.com/europe/brochure.c ... on_id=5165 Readily available from many sources (including for example Amazon).