Fiber washers versus o-rings

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jon Schmid
356 Fan

Fiber washers versus o-rings

#1 Post by Jon Schmid »

Hi all,
I'm just curious, would it be better to continue to use new original fiber washers to seal where the fuel line banjo bolts connect to the tops of Zenith 32 NDIX carburetors or use fuel resistant o-rings instead?
Thanks in advance for any input either way...

Martin Benade
356 Fan

Re: Fiber washers versus o-rings

#2 Post by Martin Benade »

O rings will squeeze out from that type of fitting as you tighten it. The original washer is really the only way to go.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Phil Planck
356 Fan

#3 Post by Phil Planck »

Orings are meant to fit in a gland. You probably would have to make a larger banjo fitting and machine in the appropriate size gland for the chosen oring.
Phil Planck

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jon Schmid »

Martin Benade wrote:O rings will squeeze out from that type of fitting as you tighten it. The original washer is really the only way to go.
Thanks, Martin. I wasn't thinking of torquing the bolt down too much. Maybe putting the o-rings under the washers? I'll gladly punt if this is not the way to go--thanks again for your input.

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#5 Post by Ron LaDow »

Jon Schmid wrote:
Martin Benade wrote:O rings will squeeze out from that type of fitting as you tighten it. The original washer is really the only way to go.
Thanks, Martin. I wasn't thinking of torquing the bolt down too much. Maybe putting the o-rings under the washers? I'll gladly punt if this is not the way to go--thanks again for your input.
If they are torqued tight enough to seal, they will extrude out the side. Light enough torque = no seal.
You really should have no problem with aluminum crush washers if the sealing surfaces are OK.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Jeffrey Leeds
356 Fan

#6 Post by Jeffrey Leeds »

And on current generation Porsches the factory, in fact, identifies the aluminum crush washers as "sealing rings"
< Jeff >

Registry Member Since 1978
1963 356B T-6 Super 90 Coupe
2009 997.2 Carrera S
2015 958 Cayenne diesel-1 & 2015 958 Cayenne diesel-2

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#7 Post by Jon Schmid »

OK, thanks for the input, guys, I appreciate it.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#8 Post by Martin Benade »

Are the aluminum and fiber washers interchangeable? I feel more comfortable with fiber on pot-metal carbs and fuel pumps as I imagine less torque will make them seal.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#9 Post by Ron LaDow »

Martin Benade wrote:Are the aluminum and fiber washers interchangeable? I feel more comfortable with fiber on pot-metal carbs and fuel pumps as I imagine less torque will make them seal.
Apologies if this is too elementary:
Most banjo joints rely on a sort of 'class 1' thread; it has to be loose enough that all the elements will find a happy medium and parallel sealing surfaces. So if the surfaces don't have scratches, the metal (Al or Cu) washers do just fine, and in fact they do better than the fiber ones as you won't find yourself pulling off the road to re-tighten the bolts after the fiber ones take a set:
Takes about 500 miles; trip to the Lit Meet after the twin-plug build, pulling off 101N in the San Fernando Valley on return. They did not need it again, but then I switched to metal crush washers not long afterwards.
BTW, if you design to a generous diameter for sealing, you can use a "Dowty Washer" which captures an O-ring inside a metallic washer. The March F-1 used them in various locations, but both Zenith and Porsche were a bit more economical of sealing ring diameter.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#10 Post by Martin Benade »

I'll stick with fiber, but its good to know that either is appropriate. My mind is made up already, don't confuse me with facts. :shock:
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

David Green
356 Fan

#11 Post by David Green »

I had to have a helicoil installed in one Solex inlet and the banjo continued to have a slight leak despite trying various combinations of aluminum, copper and fiber washers. One day after warming it up I gave the banjo bolt a slight tug to stop the leak and it felt like it hit home. Turns out the way my machinist installed the helicoil the bolt bottomed out a few thousands short so it never crushed the washers. I filed the end of the bolt just until the washers sealed and problem solved. In my case the aluminum seem to seal the best.
David