cab top hinge joints

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Patrick Brennan
356 Fan

cab top hinge joints

#1 Post by Patrick Brennan »

I realize that after 80 years some of my joints don't flex as they once did. I realize the top hinges on a 55 year old cab don't flex as they once did. How do I lubricate them and with what. I have spoken with several "experts" only to get a shrug of the shoulders. I will give any reasonable suggestion a try. :?:

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

Re: cab top hinge joints

#2 Post by Greg Bryan »

That's a very reasonable question as it is very easy to overdo it and stain the cloth parts. I had mine recovered about 3 years ago and gave it a liberal oiling when it was bare. A very careful application of some spray can oil/liquid grease with a 6 inch extension might work - even WD40 is better than dry.
Greg Bryan

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#3 Post by Martin Benade »

WD40 evaporates after a short time, it may help free things up but needs to be followed with oil. I believe sewing machine oil is available with a needle applicator so you can carefully give a drop or two to each pivot.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Gary Carriveau
356 Fan

#4 Post by Gary Carriveau »

Patrick,
A watch maker supplies vendor (for example:https://www.esslinger.com/oils-and-lubricants-1/) offers a variety of reasonably priced watch oilers which allow a very careful,controlled application of high quality lubrication.

Gary
Gary W. Carriveau
'64 C Coupe

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#5 Post by Ron LaDow »

Pretty sure the concern here is keeping the lube off the fabric.
How about using a shallow puddle of the lube, q-tips to wick it from the puddle and then pressed on the exposed side of the 'hinge'; let it 'capillary' into the joints. 4-in-one oil if it were me.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#6 Post by Martin Benade »

Is 4 in one the same thing as the old 3 in one? That stuff was corrosive, an unusual property for a lubricant.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Ned Gorski
356 Fan

#7 Post by Ned Gorski »

Watch oil through a needle..
Thenwipe excess wrap the jount with strips of cloth (torn bed sheets ) work the top remove the strips wipe . And repeat if needed..once your satisfied . i would personally rewrap the oiled joints and store with top open and not latched untill I'm sure all the residual oil is gone. A drop of oil goes a long way to lube a jount that doesn't move more tham 90 deg . Lube sparingly. I just did the same thing on the original 550 spyder top i found.
Regards Ned

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#8 Post by Ron LaDow »

Martin Benade wrote:Is 4 in one the same thing as the old 3 in one?
It was before inflation... That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Martin Benade wrote:That stuff was corrosive, an unusual property for a lubricant.
I did no know that.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz