What happened to my Daily Forum update?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
John Hearn
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche is a two sylable word!

Re: What happened to my Daily Forum update?

#31 Post by John Hearn »

No daily digest for a week +
KTF
John

Stephen Dempsey
356 Fan

#32 Post by Stephen Dempsey »

Okay, mine has stopped yet again...

Curt Dansby
356 Fan

#33 Post by Curt Dansby »

Hi Folks
Our IT Guy and I have put a fair amount of time into this. He upgraded our phpBB Software which handles the digest and we went through multiple tests with Paul. Finally we changed Paul's e-mail address to his wife"s (with a different ISP) and she got the digest. Then she tried to forward it to Paul's e-mail- three times. He did not receive and it did not go into a spam file. This indicated a problem with Comcast (his ISP). Paul called them and they adjusted his spam filter and he is getting the digest. Our IT Guy has also done some manual adjustments last night on settings (in our system) on Stephen, Richard,Bob & John's accounts.

If you guys are not getting the digest at this point we have to believe it is an issue with your ISP(even if it is not Comcast). We have no answer as to why it is an intermittent problem or why it may have just presented recently(presumably your ISP made some adjustments) I understand your collective frustration but there is no more we can do on this end.

Curt

Richard Strahota
356 Fan

#34 Post by Richard Strahota »

Curt Dansby wrote:Hi Folks
Our IT Guy and I have put a fair amount of time into this. He upgraded our phpBB Software which handles the digest and we went through multiple tests with Paul. Finally we changed Paul's e-mail address to his wife"s (with a different ISP) and she got the digest. Then she tried to forward it to Paul's e-mail- three times. He did not receive and it did not go into a spam file. This indicated a problem with Comcast (his ISP). Paul called them and they adjusted his spam filter and he is getting the digest. Our IT Guy has also done some manual adjustments last night on settings (in our system) on Stephen, Richard,Bob & John's accounts.

If you guys are not getting the digest at this point we have to believe it is an issue with your ISP(even if it is not Comcast). We have no answer as to why it is an intermittent problem or why it may have just presented recently(presumably your ISP made some adjustments) I understand your collective frustration but there is no more we can do on this end.

Curt
Dick Strahota

Mark Sabbann
356 Fan

#35 Post by Mark Sabbann »

It happened again this morning with my Daily Digest: on a random basis some days yes, some days no, when trying to open my Daily Digest email, my email program (Microsoft Outlook Express) goes into a search/contact cycle which freezes up the email program until it is done doing whatever it is doing. I get this message: 'Contacting: \\CDN.jsdelivr.net\emojione\assets\3.1\png\64'. I also get an overall 'not responding' note in the URL address bar. Does anyone know what or why this is and what to do about it?
Mark Sabbann
1964 SC Coupe 'Essy'
1965 C Coupe 'The Yellow Delicious'

Alex Mestas
356 Fan
Tag: It’s only a hobby.

#36 Post by Alex Mestas »

Didn’t receive it today.
1963 356 T-6 Coupe Signal Red.
1973.5 911 T Coupe Ivory.
1989 911 Carrera Targa Grd Prix White.

Paul Ahnell
356 Fan
Tag: What?

#37 Post by Paul Ahnell »

Hey Mark: I use Outlook and I'm having the same intermittent problem. I get the same messages e.g. "not responding" you get while the system waits for the Forum to show up. After awhile, sometimes minutes, sometimes <a minute it finally catches up and opens. This used to be like greased lightning. I also notice I sometimes don't get all the .jpg photos. I checked with MS trouble shooters and they (after 1/2 hour) said it's not MS Outlook because If I get one or more from sender (Forum), I should be getting all. I still haven't figured out how to have the Index jump to the numbered reply when I click on the blue # on the left. It used to but now it just goes to the top of the index. Sigh. All "black box" to me. I must say though, Curt helped me through a couple of rough spots and it's better than it was. I was about ready to through in the towel before Curt stepped in. Thanks.
Paul Ahnell
'60 Normal Coupe

Mark Sabbann
356 Fan

#38 Post by Mark Sabbann »

I was only getting the slow start/search message when trying to open the Digest email. Now I just tried to open my whole Outlook program and it went into the same search mode but BEFORE even getting to the Digest email. WTH??
Once Outlook opened and I was able to delete the Digest email, I was then able to open Outlook without issue or the slow start.
Mark Sabbann
1964 SC Coupe 'Essy'

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#39 Post by Greg Bryan »

Don’t know if this is the issue you’re having, but if the digest contains a couple of posts with a lot of images, it may be slow to load. Allowable image size went up during the last uplift and depending on your download speed, it can bog down your system if there are a bunch of full sized pictures .
Greg Bryan

Mark Sabbann
356 Fan

#40 Post by Mark Sabbann »

Greg Bryan wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:35 pm Don’t know if this is the issue you’re having, but if the digest contains a couple of posts with a lot of images, it may be slow to load. Allowable image size went up during the last uplift and depending on your download speed, it can bog down your system if there are a bunch of full sized pictures .
It may be part of the problem but in the error message there is reference to emojis, I wonder if my system is having trouble accepting them. What is the allowable image size now? I will try to check my system to see it's photo size limits.
Mark Sabbann
1964 SC Coupe 'Essy'

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#41 Post by Greg Bryan »

I’m not sure about allowable image size - but if there are 25MB of files in the digest, your provider may reject the email because of their size limits or, on the other hand, it may slow your system to a standstill
Greg Bryan

Mark Sabbann
356 Fan

#42 Post by Mark Sabbann »

The slow loading still continues and it is frustrating. I thought size limits could be put on photos uploaded to the forum. I can't find any settings in Microsoft Outlook for adjustment to accommodate incoming email or attachment sizes.
Mark Sabbann
1964 SC Coupe 'Essy'

Paul Ahnell
356 Fan
Tag: What?

#43 Post by Paul Ahnell »

+1 Mark. This is like the little girl with the curl in the middle of her forehead; when it's good, it's pretty good. When it's bad, it's horrid. A swift pain in the butt. Mine usually gets stuck just past the halfway mark. Used to be smooth as silk until the change. Of all the mail I get this is the only problem child.
Paul Ahnell
'60 Normal Coupe

Mark Sabbann
356 Fan

#44 Post by Mark Sabbann »

PaulAhnell wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:55 am +1 Mark. Of all the mail I get this is the only problem child.
Same here, the Digest email is the problem when it has large photos included. Even after the email loads, not all images come through. I cleared out and made some cache adjustments but it didn't seem to help.
Mark Sabbann
1964 SC Coupe 'Essy'

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#45 Post by Greg Bryan »

While there are a lot of variable to each member's set-up, such as internet download speed and individual computer limitations, here is the preference that I have selected for the digest. I don't seem to be having the problem being discussed here.
Digest Preferences.PNG
Digest Preferences.PNG (47.61 KiB) Viewed 1081 times
A shot in the dark, to be sure, but check your preferences …
Added by edit - I notice the label across the selection buttons - I have "Plain" selected.
Greg Bryan