Front 356B Brake Springs—Which holes to put the springs in??

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Paul Giganti
356 Fan

Front 356B Brake Springs—Which holes to put the springs in??

#1 Post by Paul Giganti »

After success with placing the two heavy springs securing the front right brake shoes in EXACTLY the holes the springs were in when I disassembled them, I noticed on a nice picture of someone else brake internals they don't have the springs in the same holes! So which holes do I put them in (no joking)?

I've uploaded the picture I took of my original right front brake when I removed the drum (very crusty, I know, but the refreshed one looks much nice now). I've also added numbers to make my question clear and hopefully your answers too.

Originally my two springs were in holes #1 and #2, and #3 and #4—that's how I've reassembled them now. However the picture of the other fellow's front brake uses holes #1 and #2, and #3 and #5! I figure there's only four possibilities, plus the answer, "It doesn't make any difference."

I'm this close )( to finishing the brake job and it's supposed to rain tomorrow! Please tell me which holes to use, and it would be helpful if you use my numbers.

Paul
Attachments
Right Front Brake Internals
Right Front Brake Internals

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Re: Front 356B Brake Springs—Which holes to put the springs

#2 Post by David Jones »

You have it correct as in the picture Paul. Holes 5 and 6 are used on the rear brake springs as the shoes are the same front and rear.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Robert Reed
356 Fan

#3 Post by Robert Reed »

Paul, that looks right to me as well, I had to go back to the picture I posted in your previous post. I was thinking “oh crap”, I hope he wasn’t talking about me!!!
Bob

Paul Giganti
356 Fan

#4 Post by Paul Giganti »

I scoured the internet looking for as many pictures I could find of 356 drum brake internals. I can't say any longer where I found which picture. Whose ever brake was pictured, it was bright an shiny, so I figured it must be correct. Imagine my surprise to find out otherwise! Nice to know that they were correct originally in my car.

Paul