Self-balancing emergency brake cables—or not?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Paul Giganti
356 Fan

Self-balancing emergency brake cables—or not?

#1 Post by Paul Giganti »

Still working on a complete rebuild of my rear brakes on my 356B (front next) and am a bit confounded by the mismatch in the position of the emergency brake cables on each of the rear backing plates. The left one is so far forward, about an inch more than the other one, it binds with the backing place when the emergency brake is applied. Right side seems fine and matches all the brake pictures I've found online.

I thought the emergency brake cables were self adjusting, but this mismatch in the emergency brake lever positions makes me think it's not happening with mine? My books indicate there's only a single adjustment on the hand brake under the front of the car, but not an adjustment of just the right or left cable.

Advice?

John Brooks
356 Fan

Re: Self-balancing emergency brake cables—or not?

#2 Post by John Brooks »

Not self adjusting, but balanced at the splitter. Go look at the splitter up front by the torsion bars Where the handle goes on to the pair of cables. Sounds like one side of the bar is off centered.

Call if you have more questions.
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Re: Self-balancing emergency brake cables—or not?

#3 Post by David Jones »

You can also make an adjustment at the outer Bowden cables where they exit the chassis. There is a threaded end piece for this reason. Page T25 of the factory manual refers. You do have a manual of course?
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715