43rd 356 International

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Ian William Stockwell
356 Fan
Tag: 356 not just a number

43rd 356 International

#1 Post by Ian William Stockwell »

Hi Guys

Is anybody on this forum going to the 43rd 356 International meet in the UK in May? Apart from Fred.

Ian
Porsche engine DNA is Flat Four, Flat Six & Flat Twelve NOT Flat Battery Packs :(

Bob Forman
356 Fan

Re: 43rd 356 International

#2 Post by Bob Forman »

I was until informed YOU MUST BRING A 356. Consensus among the faithful I know is that it'll be primarily a UK-member event.
Bob Forman

John Hearn
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche is a two sylable word!

#3 Post by John Hearn »

Fred who?
KTF
John

Larry Brooks
356 Fan

#4 Post by Larry Brooks »

Bob Forman wrote:I was until informed YOU MUST BRING A 356. Consensus among the faithful I know is that it'll be primarily a UK-member event.
Good to know.
I thought about going. Based on the people I met at the one I attended a few years ago in Switzerland my enthusiasm is tempered somewhat. I certainly appreciate the gracious, open and genuine 356ers I meet at events in the US more as a result. I was surprised because I have dealt with mostly great Porsche people in all of Europe over the past 25 years.

But I was thinking about giving it another chance.

Makes my decision simple.

Bob Garretson
Registry Hall of Fame

#5 Post by Bob Garretson »

I am going. Why do you ask?
Bob Garretson
Bob Garretson

Craig Richter
356 Fan

#6 Post by Craig Richter »

Portugal was a trip (all sorts of pun intended). Herr Liberty and his cousin Roland (and their treasured wives) made it a hoot! France was a little boring, but that was largely due to the typical May weather. Why do the organizers always schedule these things for the wet month of May? It helps to have some idea of what Europeans are about to really enjoy yourself at one of these "international" events, but that's not always so easy. Northern Europe is going thru a lot of changes the last few years, and the Swiss have always had their "neutrality" attitude. Safety (I didn't get this old to risk things now) was our choice to stay in Austria this year.
Don't get me wrong, Britain is our absolute favorite place to tour... absolutely fantastic, especially if you have any Celtic-type blood in your veins. I wish Bob a memorable trip.

John Hearn
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche is a two sylable word!

#7 Post by John Hearn »

The 356 International is traditionally held from Ascention Thursday.
This is 40 days after Easter and therefore variable.
In Europe this is a holiday weekend in most of Christian Europe.
It formed a basis of bringing your 356 out in Spring after it's Winter rest.
Of course weather is variable in any part of the World........
What makes this and any 356 event is the cars and the people.
KTF
John

Ashley James
356 Fan

#8 Post by Ashley James »

I’m not even sure where it is or whether my car will be back from the paint shop, but I’d love to meet up with US members and have some fun.

So far my visits to Porsche gatherings haven’t been that great. There might be a reasonable umber or cars, but owners are nowhere to be seen. I used to and still might organise gatherings for old car men and wives so am all too aware of the need for ice breakers, especially if people don’t already know each other.

Maybe if all non UK visitors (and UK ones who don’t know anyone) made plans to meet up and possibly book the same or nearby accommodation, we could make sure we enjoyed ourselves.

I’m happy to help if needed and I’d love to make US friends who I might be able to visit when I’m over later in the year.

Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

#9 Post by Neil Bardsley »

I didn't even know it was on. We were all at Hedingham Castle last year so will give it a miss.

I think most will be more interested in driving out to CLM this year?

PS if you fancy a drive around some lovely English roads come and join us for the DDK Flat 4 drive later in the year. It will not cost you anything apart from petrol!

David Pettengell
356 Fan

#10 Post by David Pettengell »

So, Paul at PRS mentioned this to me earlier but I need to ask some dumb questions. Do you need to be a member of a club to attend? What is the usual format of this event?

Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

#11 Post by Neil Bardsley »

david pettengell wrote:So, Paul at PRS mentioned this to me earlier but I need to ask some dumb questions. Do you need to be a member of a club to attend? What is the usual format of this event?
If you are talking about your drive then no cost or membership needed. If you are talking about the PGGB event then yes I believe you will need to join.

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#12 Post by Jim Liberty »

Tiff and I have attended many of these events. All have been an experience of one kind or another. Craig R. is right, the Portugal was a highlight, great everything. We opted out this year and are driving the California Mille in stead.

On another note. The 356 Registry is "HOSTING" again, a Registry Reunion the Sept. 28th. at Carmel Community Park, just up the road from Laguna Seca. Just like 2015, free beer and a great meal paid for by our generous sponsors. Space is limited, so keep your eye on the magazine, and up coming web site.

....................Jim Liberty & Felix Macaluso
Jim Liberty

Ian William Stockwell
356 Fan
Tag: 356 not just a number

#13 Post by Ian William Stockwell »

Well, that was an interesting response.
Looks like it's just you and me Bob, I will look forward to meeting you there.
I wasn't expecting too many responses from the states due to the costs and travel involved.

Ian
Porsche engine DNA is Flat Four, Flat Six & Flat Twelve NOT Flat Battery Packs :(

Mike Ruddy
356 Fan
Tag: https://tinyurl.com/yw3jedrh

#14 Post by Mike Ruddy »

Hello, when and where is this here UK meet ?

Edit to answer my own darn question.

Thursday, 3rd May
Hanbury Manor Guest welcome and check-in from 2pm. Drinks and dinner to take place from 7pm at the hotel. Speeches, event instructions and a warm welcome to all our European/Overseas visitors.

Friday, 4th May (day)
Hedingham Castle Participants will enjoy a winding drive on country roads through quintessential English villages to spend a day at the nine hundred years old Hedingham Castle. Hosted by the charming Lindsay family, descendants of the original owners, the De Veres, you will see jousting, archery, falconry and medieval combat – but nowhere near the 356s!

Friday, 4th May (evening)
Hatfield House In the evening members will dine at Hatfield House, a venue of real historical interest where Queen Elizabeth I spent her childhood.

Hatfield House is the home of the 7th Marquess and Marchioness of Salisbury and their family. With stunning examples of Jacobean craftsmanship throughout the house and a number of gardens and attractions to explore there is something for everyone.

Saturday, 5th May (day)
Debden Airfield or Cambridge Driving activities at a local aerodrome or a walking tour of Cambridge.

Saturday, 5th May (evening)
Duxford, Imperial War Museum A Gala and Awards Dinner under the wings of Concorde at the Imperial War Museum, Duxford. AirSpace is a stunning exhibition, telling the story of British and Commonwealth aviation from the earliest pioneers to the latest contemporary technology. Containing over 30 evocative aircraft, including the iconic Lancaster, Spitfire and Concorde.

Sunday, 6th May (AM)
Brunch and departure

Robin Walker
356 Fan

#15 Post by Robin Walker »

We will be there in our Sky Blue '64 RHD 356C our first 356 International since Denmark in 2008.
I understand that there are 135 cars registered and the entries filled up quite early.
There will be an opportunity for people who are interested to see the 356 entrants cars at Castle Hedingham on Friday 4th May for £10 per car.

With regard to keeping the 356 faith, we have just been accepted to drive the Porsche Sternfahrt. This is a four starting points rally from around Europe, to Stuttgart Germany, for 200 Porsche cars to take part in the Stuttgart 70th Anniversary celebrations of the date when the first car to carry the name 356 was registered on 8th June 1948.
The rally and celebrations will be from 6th to the 10th June this year in Stuttgart.
Attachments
SCTD%202018%20Header.jpg
Robin Walker
1962 356B S90 Coupe. sold.
1964 356C Coupe RHD
1973 911S Coupe LHD
1983 924 coupe RHD