Don't let this happen to you!

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Bob Cannon
356 Fan

Don't let this happen to you!

#1 Post by Bob Cannon »

I recently dropped off and picked up chrome parts for a 58 Cab currently under restoration. The local shop I used has been in business for decades and does a lot of 356 and other Porsche work, but has recently changed owners. Although very happy with the quality of the chrome work on almost all of the parts taken in, I was horrified when I unwrapped the seat recliners once I left the shop. The attached pictures speak for themselves and show the effects of too aggressive of prep work before chroming:
IMG_6272.jpg
IMG_6273.jpg
IMG_6275.jpg
I now have a set of 4 wall hangings, courtesy of a chrome shop who should have known better. Although it is possible to drill out and replace the rivets, the 4 mm rivets with wide heads to approximate the originals are NLA and would have to be custom machined.

A word to the wise- although you "hope" your favorite chrome shop won't ruin your irreplaceable parts, if anything can go wrong- it will.
Bob Cannon
Sacramento, CA

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

Re: Don't let this happen to you!

#2 Post by Adam Wright »

Bob-
It might help if you named the shop, so if anyone else has stuff there or is about to drop off, they can be forewarned.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#3 Post by Ron LaDow »

Bob, that is a heart-breaker. I'm sure it's not the first time you've gotten crap in return, but you'd hope by now quality shops would have standards.
I would second Adam's comment: that shop needs identification in the hopes of others avoiding it, and to make sure that sort of 'workmanship' gets wide exposure.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Bob Cannon
356 Fan

#4 Post by Bob Cannon »

The shop will remain unnamed for the time being. Local folks will get the word; hopefully my "discussion" with them will encourage them to do things right. I was able to find another set of 4 outer recliner pieces, complete with visible rivets, and they are being plated by the same shop. They better turn out perfect this time around.
Bob Cannon
Sacramento, CA

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#5 Post by Wes Bender »

OK. So we can't trust any chrome platers north of, say, Bakersfield?
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#6 Post by Martin Benade »

Just show up at the platers with these pictures as an example of what you don't want. If they get a funny look on their face when they see them, they probably really understand, by way of Bob.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Bob Kittel
356 Fan

#7 Post by Bob Kittel »

You must inspect your parts before you pay and leave. I had a similar experience with an LA plater. I took the parts, bad now, and left without paying.
Bob Kittel

Charles H Jacobus
356 Fan

#8 Post by Charles H Jacobus »

Bob Kittel wrote:You must inspect your parts before you pay and leave. I had a similar experience with an LA plater. I took the parts, bad now, and left without paying.
But the base parts are hard to come by and expensive. Seems like they should redo them.

Chuck
Current:
2012 Silver 991
1995 Midnight blue 993
1965 Red 356C

Past:
Fond memories of 14 others (including a '63 Normal and a 61 S90) :)

Paul Hatfield
356 Registry Member

#9 Post by Paul Hatfield »

About 15 years ago I took all the fasteners, clamps, etc for my soft window Targa to a very high end shop here in Washington. They left them soaking in the prep solution overnight and ruined every piece. Probably over 100 pieces. The shop did offer to purchase replacements, but these were all original. I sourced replacements from everywhere I could find, and they paid the receipts I submitted.
Paul Hatfield
"Miss April"
http://www.enginesinback.com

Leo Dreisilker
356 Fan

#10 Post by Leo Dreisilker »

My recliners were re-chromed by a high end chrome shop and they looked great. When I went to reassemble them I found the chrome was a little thick and they would not clamp together all of the way. The grooves for the clips were chromed over too. I had to spend many hours grinding the insides until they clamped together and then I had to use a dremel tool and wheel to grind the grooves. Once they were assembled everything looked real good and has lasted too. Later someone told me I should have sent the whole set to a California shop(forgot name) that specializes in our hinges and offers exchange sets.