It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:44 pm 
356 Fan

OK Kids!

You may have noticed my posting from last night looking for the owner of a 1963 356B coupe last seen on ebay in 2007 with VIN 211906. I would very much like to find the owner of this car. So, I put the posting in. I have also sent an email to all of the clubs listed on the registry web site. With tight public records laws, searching for registration records seems something like impossible without a search warrant. ebay, of course prevents one from getting old auction results. So, what else is there to do? google searches are frankly just exercises in frustration. You guys have to be smarter than me. Who has a clever tactic?

Regards,

Eric L.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:12 pm 
356 Fan

Tag: KTF
Eric Lenius wrote:
OK Kids!

You may have noticed my posting from last night looking for the owner of a 1963 356B coupe last seen on ebay in 2007 with VIN 211906. I would very much like to find the owner of this car. So, I put the posting in. I have also sent an email to all of the clubs listed on the registry web site. With tight public records laws, searching for registration records seems something like impossible without a search warrant. ebay, of course prevents one from getting old auction results. So, what else is there to do? google searches are frankly just exercises in frustration. You guys have to be smarter than me. Who has a clever tactic?

Regards,

Eric L.

Where was it for sale in 2007? It always helps to start at the beginning.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:32 pm 
Registry Trustee

Eric

Looked the 356 up in our VIN database and it appears it was in Texas when in was sold on eBay.

KTF
Frank

Attachments:
IMG_0974.PNG
IMG_0974.PNG [ 217.1 KiB | Viewed 610 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:41 pm 
356 Fan

Frank/Adam,

Yes, that is where I found it originally. On the VIN database. Just my lucky break that someone chose to record the details on this web site. The engine is one I am looking for......

Attempting to keep the faith!

Eric L.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:53 am 
356 Fan

Searching departments of motor vehicles using a VIN may not be an impossible task. It is allowed in California. Likely other states also.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:54 am 
356 Fan

If there is a Classic Car magazine that covers the whole of the US it might be useful to use a 'where is it now' advert, it's a regular feature in Classic & Sports Car over here and I know it works. It's obviously a lot easier over here in the UK as the registration number stays the same for the whole of it's life.

V

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:45 pm 
356Talk Moderator

Tag: Be Nice!
The company R.L. Polk specializes in consolidating VIN information on a big data basis. OEs use them for creating mailing lists for recalls and I believe anyone can get mailing lists based on various search fields for marketing mailers, etc.
I don't know if they can or will provide information on one VIN - you'd have to check. I think they have field offices in several locations around the country.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:37 pm 
356 Fan

OK, I did submit a VIN search for California. Hopefully this will yield something. I do believe this particular car was in California in the late 70s.