Bumper Guard Bolt Removal

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Carl Swirsding
356 Fan

Bumper Guard Bolt Removal

#1 Post by Carl Swirsding »

IMG_0941.jpg
I have a bumper guard where the threaded end of one bolt is broken off. See photo. Are these bolts threaded into the bumper guard, so that I could remove and replace the broken bolt? If the bolts are not threaded, is there a way to replace them?

Thanks,

Carl
Carl Swirsding
Los Altos, CA
'64 C Coupe #215553

Mervyn Hyde
356 Fan

Re: Bumper Guard Bolt Removal

#2 Post by Mervyn Hyde »

Mine are threaded into the over-rider Carl. If yours is really stuck (and aside from using a releasing agent of some kind) there is not much you can do without damaging the over-rider. A few options: 1. If needed, you could cut off more of the broken bolt and put a threaded 'sleeve' over the stub and a suitable section of threaded rod to make up the correct length. 2. You could try to weld new rod section on to the shortened stub without wrestling with the broken bit. 3. Dremmel off the broken rod and trying drilling out the remnant of the bolt and using an 'easyout'. Using a tap and die set to thread the stub could allow you to fit two nuts locked together and then try to unscrew the bolt.

Sounds messy but it won't be seen and is cheaper than a new over-rider
Merv
TYP356
1963 356B T6
1968 911 SWB

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#3 Post by Mike Wilson »

I think if it is an original Huf bumper guard, it is worth saving. If not, I'd just buy a repro.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Carl Swirsding
356 Fan

#4 Post by Carl Swirsding »

How could I tell that it is an original "Huf" bumper guard? Any markings? Or is the casting unique in some way?

Thanks,

Carl
Carl Swirsding
Los Altos, CA
'64 C Coupe #215553

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#5 Post by Mike Wilson »

On the inside on the upper left it should be marked "HUF" with numbers. The orginals did have the studs swagged in but I think some later ones were threaded in with a nut locking them in. Huff also made the B/C hood handles.

Mervyn's advice is spot on. I've used the cut/thread/sleeve method but you have to make sure the sleeve doesn't interfer with the fit to the bumper.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Carl Swirsding
356 Fan

#6 Post by Carl Swirsding »

Thank you all for your advice. I inspected the bumper guard in question and it does NOT have the Huf mark. I have another bumper guard with a small crack on the side and it DOES have the Huf mark, and is notably heavier. Now I wonder if a plater can repair the small crack on the side of real Huf bumper guard? Anyone ever have this done?
Carl Swirsding
Los Altos, CA
'64 C Coupe #215553

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#7 Post by Mike Wilson »

A good plater can repair the crack but it may be pricy. For intricate plating and repairs, I use Jose at Christensen's in the city of Vernon, CA. It might be worth a call to find out.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#8 Post by Brad Ripley »

Buy a new guard, or probably a pair of new guards. Or, good used ones from Adam.

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#9 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Brad Ripley wrote:Buy a new guard, or probably a pair of new guards. Or, good used ones from Adam.
+1