Turn signal problem

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Steve Nau
356 Fan

Turn signal problem

#1 Post by Steve Nau »

I searched but don't find my answer. My turn signals have worked fine for the three years since the restoration. All wiring is new.

The left front signal has stopped working. Left rear blinks fine. Front bulb is good. Even tried a new one anyway - nothing.
Right side works fine.

How much voltage should I get at the socket? Any troubleshooting suggestions appreciated.

WilliamVaughan
356 Fan

Re: Turn signal problem

#2 Post by WilliamVaughan »

scrape the soldered base of the bulb with a screw driver. scrape the sidewall of the socket with a screw driver. wiggle all the fuses

Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

#3 Post by Geoff Fleming »

...and be sure there is a good ground between the light housing and the chassis. Most turn signal woes are due to poor grounds than lack of voltage. You can make a decent ground with a short length of wire. Attach to one of the threaded connectors o the back of the housing and make the chassis connection against clean metal.

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jim Nelson »

Geoff Fleming wrote:...and be sure there is a good ground between the light housing and the chassis. Most turn signal woes are due to poor grounds than lack of voltage. You can make a decent ground with a short length of wire. Attach to one of the threaded connectors o the back of the housing and make the chassis connection against clean metal.

+1 and at the side of the battery box....

Walt Nolte
356 Fan

#5 Post by Walt Nolte »

I had a similar problem, intermittent left turn signal and brake light. After checking the bulbs, wires, connections and grounds multiple times, decided problem was in the turn signal switch. A bad or dirty contact. Solved by spraying some high quality electric cleaner followed by canned air into the turn signal housing. I did this a couple of times. Works fine after three years. I think somebody on the Forum suggested this approach.

Walt Nolte
59 A Coupe
Montana
walt nolte

Steve Nau
356 Fan

#6 Post by Steve Nau »

Problem was in the switch. Had to take it apart and work on getting the contacts to work as they should. Also had a wire that was almost broken. Thanks.