Scamalot

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Steve Douglas
356 Fan

Re: Scamalot

#16 Post by Steve Douglas »

Doug no garlic aroma, it's only on still mornings that there is a slight smell. We used to he Garlic Capital, but that was before I moved there, now we have vineyards and and houses, still have two huge garlic production facilities. Fortunately I live out in the country where there isn't any traffic, and good 356 style back roads, 20 minutes to the beach and 1.5 minutes to two wineries. If anybody is out to Monterey for the Car Week or Rennsport, let me know as the local 356 guys are going to be doing a drive and a meet-up.
If it stops raining tomorrow I will bring the yellow coupe home.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#17 Post by Doug McDonnell »

So now Scamalot is for sale on Pelican but not here. https://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche ... coupe.html T6 body with a 912 engine. Just the way I like them but alas not in a position to buy it and have 3 356s. Or I would have called last night, bought it and fly out to Gilroy and drive it back home to Michigan.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#18 Post by Martin Benade »

So Steve was kidding us all along about having bought it?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#19 Post by Doug McDonnell »

No this is Steve selling it.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#20 Post by Martin Benade »

Then perhaps it needs a new nickname.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#21 Post by Edwin Ek »

"... bro deal all around" but flipping it a month later? Hmmm.

Steve Swift
356 Fan

#22 Post by Steve Swift »

I still think this was a “bro deal”. Both the the buyer and seller are long time 356 people and have known each other for years. The seller had not been able to maintain the car for years and offered it on the list for 15K. Steve Douglas gave him considerably more even though the seller was happy with the asking price. I doubt many people would do that. The seller knew Steve was going to put some work and money into it and then sell it. Both parties happy with the extra money and the new owner will get a decent driver with ugly upholstery.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#23 Post by Doug McDonnell »

+1 Steve

Steve Douglas
356 Fan

#24 Post by Steve Douglas »

To complete the story: I wasn't looking for a car, my A coupe is apart, waiting for the transaxle to be repaired, and was enjoying doing other things than working lots of hours on cars. When Mike called me, tell me he was selling his B coupe for $15K I didn't plan on buying it. When I told him I'd give him 20K for it I was expecting him to turn me away, but he said you just bought a car. "Oh Shit". I don't want or need another 356, I have downsized and able to use and enjoy the 2 Porsches I have, plus enjoying doing other things. But, I had to buy it, it was too good of a deal. I knew the car and Mike for several years, so knew it was solid and basically rust free, yet also knew there were a lot of half assed repairs done in the past. So drove the car home, it ran good and went down the road well. Went through the receipts going back to 1978 gave me a historical aspect and some places to look at. Started cleaning it up, and fixing small things, broken headlight glass, replaced the digital radio that drained the battery, turn signals, fog lights, shift linkage, clutch pedal linkage, bled the brakes, two days of rubbing out the paint. Drove it for a few miles and decided to replace the throw out bearing, pulled the motor, (a 1968 912 long block from Stoddard exchange), and then removed the fan housing to check the oil cooler, and before long had the heads off, P & Cs off, rods out and inspected the internals of the case. New rod bearing and rings, as that is standard practice. The rods and heads showed recent quality work, found out that Steve Swift has Jay Precision Machine do the machine work and replaced the P&Cs not many miles before. So engine back together and in the car. Drove the car for two more trips, ran even better now.
On last Friday decided it was ready to sell, started with Craigslist and Pelican Parts. Saturday all day had calls from scammers, as well as a few legit buyers from France, NYC, Beverly Hills, Texas, and Central America. Sunday I took it to the big Vintage VW show at Kelly Park and had loads of interest, but no firm buys. That evening wife and I drove it to a dinner party and one of the guests wanted to look at the car, I took him for a ride out on some back roads. We went home and a hour later got a call that he wants to buy the car. He has never had a Porsche but has some mechanical ability and wants to learn, and he is under 60. So tonight we are doing the sale and will have the car close by, which is good and bad....
Now I can go back to life again unless another car shows up that is worthy. I say worthy because I still remember when we cut up cars that were "to far gone", but nowadays I see so many rusty and crashed cars being restored. It is the age of instant gratification and money will fix anything. My frame of mind is that there are good cars to be had for reasonable prices, it will take a lot of digging and perseverance to find them, of which many aren't willing to do.
Ok, time to go out and spray weeds, and clean up the shop.

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#25 Post by Edwin Ek »

The mystery in all of this is why the original seller decided to leave $25K + on the table.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#26 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Thanks for the update Steve. I no longer have to try to figure out how to afford 3 356s. I sure would like to get a nearly rust free body from Cali or elsewhere at the price you advertised in the future. Since this car with rusted frame rails and improperly installed floor just sold for near 60K: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1963-porsche-356b-8/ Steve passed this car along to a Newbie at a very attractive price. And he had already done a fair amount to sorting the car out. Original owner happy new owner happy and Steve was rewarded. Hard to say anyone was taken advantage of. And another decent 356 is going to be driven again.

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#27 Post by Wes Bender »

Edwin Ek wrote:The mystery in all of this is why the original seller decided to leave $25K + on the table.
Not unusual, considering the work that needed to be done to get it up to its current selling price.

I recently left $25K on the table when I sold my wife's M-B 280SL. The $25K would have covered all the work that I was going to have to do to get the car into a condition similar to other sharp 280SLs that are in the marketplace. When the buyer wanted to pay me a decent price for the condition it was in, I sold it. Rather than being "out" the $25K, I just gained about 6 months of my life. (6 months that I can now use working on the 356, fishing, working on the 356, fishing, driving the 356 and fishing.......)
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#28 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Wes Bender wrote: Rather than being "out" the $25K, I just gained about 6 months of my life. (6 months that I can now use working on the 356, fishing, working on the 356, fishing, driving the 356 and fishing.......)
Yup, although it is difficult for some to understand, it is not always about the money. Wes understands.
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1967 Karmann Ghia Convertible
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe