Solex Issue

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Craig Richter
356 Fan

Re: Solex Issue

#31 Post by Craig Richter »

Plugs are not your problem. .040" will fire fine if everything else is in order. For drag racing, I used to cut the grounding electrode completely off. I don't recall the exact gap that gives, but it's a bunch. With today's no-lead gas, plugs are going 40,000 miles and still working OK. Bosch plugs (or any others that I know of) must not be made in Turkey.
356 motors have a very short intake tract (unlike 4 and 6 cyl in-line motors of the day). Very little A/P squirt is needed to quickly get more fuel to the ignition source, so the rest of the systems get to work quickly. Back-off on the actuation rod until you get just a very little squirt. Check back...

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#32 Post by Bruce Smith »

I agree with Craig regarding the accelerator pump volume. The factory recommendations of 0.45 and 0.65 cc per two strokes for warm/cold weather is already too much for modern gas. If your adjustment is giving even more than this, you're certainly flooding the engine. The squirt volume should be adjusted lower, where 0.25-0.3 cc per two strokes is plenty. If your having difficulty measuring the volume, watch the squirt times and adjust them equally to squirt a uniform but brief (about one second) stream. If you've got hesitation between idle and main circuits (at speed), increase the volume slightly.
Bruce Smith

Greg Garrett
356 Fan

#33 Post by Greg Garrett »

Good to know. I’ll go for the pump volume first. I’m pretty sure I’m around 0.50 at this point. And I’ll be happy not to have to pull the plugs again. Sometimes tricky to get them started without cross threading.