Buying from a dealer seems to add sales tax complexities

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Steven Murray
356 Fan

Buying from a dealer seems to add sales tax complexities

#1 Post by Steven Murray »

There are lots of obstacles to someone who is not hell bent on owning a 356. I have a feeling dealers in CA and MA pretty much have to charge you that states sales tax and I have little idea if I have to pay it again when registering in my home state of NY or if I have to then apply for refunds or if NY waves the sales tax and then has a way to get previously collected money from CA or MA. In 2004 I had an experience of buying a car in NJ and for just $5, proof of insurance and no sales tax they gave me a temp plate to drive the car home. NJ needs lots of money now - so probably not today. With 50 states, each is different. Buying from an individual could be less of a problem, but it could still be an issue getting a temp plate from that state. The NY DMV site warns that MA does not accept NY temp transport plates, so you would be ticketed or worse if driving through MA (i'm just saying, how silly of MA, are they just looking for more money?). 50 states all with different rules. So is there any web site or book that handles this in one easy to read chart? Any experiences would be appreciated. I'd like to get into a 356 one day , if buying can be a pleasant experience.

Shipping doesn't seem to be hassle free, cars get damaged. Hey , I'm over 60 years old, so I'm a little tired and these things come into play. Tranquility rules. I think the reason people like 356's is because they are simple, so yea I like simple things.

C J Murray
356 Fan

Re: Buying from a dealer seems to add sales tax complexities

#2 Post by C J Murray »

Taxes are paid in the state in which the car is registered/tagged. Temp tags are available so that out of state buyers can drive the car home to get it registered there, in your home state.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Mark Reich
356 Fan

#3 Post by Mark Reich »

In Massachusetts, sales tax is paid at the Registry when the car is registered. Dealers do not charge sales tax, unless they are registering the car for you.
Mark Reich
'61 T5B Super Coupe - Heron Grey
'18 911 Carrera - Miami Blue

Emil Wojcik
356 Fan

#4 Post by Emil Wojcik »

Mark Reich wrote:In Massachusetts, sales tax is paid at the Registry when the car is registered. Dealers do not charge sales tax, unless they are registering the car for you.
Same here in NJ.
Emil Wojcik
'64 356C Euro coupe
'78 MGB
'86 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
'94 MB E420

Steven Murray
356 Fan

NYS form indicates a relationship with only 8 states

#5 Post by Steven Murray »

https://dmv.ny.gov/forms/dtf804.pdf

Seems like CA, MI, FL and MA have some reciprocal arrangement. It's all complicated but the CA and MA news is good. 'Full rate eligible for credit' for 8 states.

Oh in NY as per line ONE, one only pays sales tax on the first $230K of a boat purchase. Boats rule. Speedsters don't.

Admittedly if you have your car shipped you might avoid this, but seems like some states might sting you on a transfer/temporary plate /registration?? Just an additional complication.

For NJ or CT I could always buy the car, get the title , register it in NY , return to the foreign state to drive it home with my NY plates. Depending on location in CT or NJ that could add 6 hours of additional driving.

I definitely wouldn't want to pay sales tax twice.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#6 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Michigan allows you to drive home without a plate legally after purchase. It doesn't mean they won't pull you over but you will not be ticketed.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Emil Wojcik
356 Fan

#7 Post by Emil Wojcik »

NJ allows you to put your plates from a car you already own on one you just purchased to drive it home. It's automatically covered by your insurance to do this as long as you tell them first, at least according to my insurance company. But, as Doug said, that doesn't mean you won't get pulled over. You'll just have to explain that your insurer already knows about the purchase and they should let you go.
Emil Wojcik
'64 356C Euro coupe
'78 MGB
'86 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
'94 MB E420

Al Zim
356 Fan

#8 Post by Al Zim »

Rent a trailer and truck if you need to from U-HAUL. Unless the car is very new and registered, use the trailer, how do you know what may be worn or broken on the car that could hurt you in an accident. al zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Jay Wiener
356 Fan

#9 Post by Jay Wiener »

In CA if you purchase a car from a dealer and have it shipped, which I'm pretty sure you would, then the CA dealer does not collect sales tax. The bill of lading is on fie if the nihilists at the DMV or State Board of Equalization decide to get snooty

Steven Murray
356 Fan

#10 Post by Steven Murray »

Al Zim wrote: how do you know what may be worn or broken on the car that could hurt you in an accident. al zim
Someone had suggested that I buy a car from Bob Cambell in CAlif, implying I'd get a fair deal without making buying a 356 a big ordeal. So I'm just getting a few of these logistic issues out of the way in case I end up in a town far away where there is some 356 person with a stellar reputation. Texas recently got my attention as a vendor indicated all buyers must pay a 2% texas inventory tax. Really?

Would I drive a car back from CA? Not ideal but I'm retired. I guess I'd have to investigate what it cost to insure a car being transported, what if the car arrives with the jack missing?

I'll attend the NJ holiday, maybe somebody will be selling their 356 on the last day.

David Green
356 Fan

#11 Post by David Green »

Steven,
If you buy a car out of your area I suggest you ship it. As Al points out, you never know what you have until you've driven it a while. I suspect we all have our stories.
If you ship it here's some hard-learned, unsolicited advice from having cars shipped for years:
Use only one of the big, national companies. Their rigs area all "enclosed, hard sided", not "enclosed, soft sided", or "open".
Don't use a shipping broker to arrange discounted shipping through an independent. The difference in price isn't worth the risk. Their insurance is often less and with a max per accident so, if your policy doesn't cover the car during shipping (you must check, mine does), your recovery amount could depend on who's along in the hauler with you: old beaters or supercars. The last time I shipped a car the "name brands" quoted about $2,500 from Tampa to Santa Barbara and the brokers about $1,900. Pay the additional $600 to have pros in charge!
Take everything out of the car and ship it all separately.
My experience using a quality shipper is that it can be pretty hassle free.
Good luck with your search,
David

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#12 Post by Ron LaDow »

There's this guy Bob Campbell ( http://356services.com/ ) who probably knows for certain.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#13 Post by Edwin Ek »

AAA can help for sure, if you are a member.

If you are driving old cars, I sure would want to be a member. I do and I am.

Sean M Rooks
356 Fan
Tag: '64 C Coupe

#14 Post by Sean M Rooks »

+1 on shipping the car, unless it's on your bucket list to do an epic road trip in an unknown vehicle.

I have done this several times, for my '92 VW GTI (VT to VA), my '76 VW Scirocco (IL to PA), and my '84 911 Carrera (KY to VA). The wife tapped out after the second trip. :)

I used Intercity Lines to have my 356 shipped from Tennessee to Virginia. Was about $2K all in if I remember in an enclosed carrier. My first drive in the C coupe was from the parking lot to my driveway - maybe 4 miles. It's a good thing - there was much wrong with it that wouldn't have even passed a simple state inspection.