Investment Grade

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

Investment Grade

#1 Post by Adam Wright »

I've often wondered what exactly this term means, I've been hearing it a lot lately.

Luckily, I think I found the answer, this car is being sold as "Investment Grade".

Glad I was able to clear that up.

As a bonus it's one of only 867 coupes left.

Restored by Hot Rod Garage.

Direct Quote:
"Show or dive this Highly Documented, Investment Grade, Collector quality '64 Porsche 356C Outlaw"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-Porsche-3 ... 2C&vxp=mtr
Attachments
grade2.jpeg
grade.jpeg
Last edited by Adam Wright on Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

John Brooks
356 Fan

Re: Investment Grade

#2 Post by John Brooks »

"Investment grade". I can smell the bondo in the photos.
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#3 Post by Dan Epperly »

Poor car looks like it's frowning in the ass shot.

Jay Broemmel
356 Fan
Instagram: @slouchcycles

#4 Post by Jay Broemmel »

So many “upgrades “. What did they do to the ass end to make it look so wrong?

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#5 Post by Adam Wright »

Jay Broemmel wrote:So many “upgrades “. What did they do to the ass end to make it look so wrong?
The tail lights are the "40's FORD" ones you can buy from JC Whitney. I remember ordering them years ago for a kit car Speedster, only to realize they are much smaller. Ooopss.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Emil Wojcik
356 Fan

#6 Post by Emil Wojcik »

It's fine for an outlaw. I assume the rear was widened for the larger wheels. I don't care for the seats, too modern, but I don't mind the rest.
Emil Wojcik
'64 356C Euro coupe
'78 MGB
'86 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
'94 MB E420

Sean M Rooks
356 Fan
Tag: '64 C Coupe

#7 Post by Sean M Rooks »

I'm with Emil. There's a butt for every seat - A few minor changes (seats, steering wheel, taillights) and she'll appeal to a wider audience.

My C had 944 seats in it when I bought it - and while I found them terribly uncomfortable, they didn't look too bad and it was nice to have an integrated headrest (I'm too tall for almost any Porsche headrest to work but the wife appreciated)

to the point of the original subject - This challenges my understanding of the term of Investment Grade, unless it was built by someone well-known and respected. Is it becoming common to use it to suggest the quality of a restoration/restomod now?

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#8 Post by Martin Benade »

I think it is just like an ad saying it is a good deal, they can say anything they want, it is up to you to evaluate the car. Maybe this term is like how congress names things they vote on, often the name is exactly the opposite of what it will do.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#9 Post by Jim Nelson »

It does have Upgraded Porsche Turbo Power Tan Sport seats....but that rear.....wonder if it was hit and they didn't have another to look at?

Erik Thomas
356 Fan

#10 Post by Erik Thomas »

"Investment Grade" is being bantered about to appeal to your sense of greed. Like this roach is going to be worth more in a year than you pay for it.

Advertisers have used that term "Investment Grade" to sell diamonds recently. Diamonds may be a girls best friend, but they loose value like buying a new car. Few want to buy a used diamond ring.

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#11 Post by Edwin Ek »

Any time the term is used other than in describing bonds, you know nonsense is in the air.

A bond only has to have a BBB rating (S&P scheme) or higher to be investment-grade. That is actually kinda low. AAA is the highest.

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#12 Post by Harlan Halsey »

"Investment grade" is just dealer hype like "original" or "matching numbers". No real meaning other than that the seller wants a high price.

Emil Wojcik
356 Fan

#13 Post by Emil Wojcik »

'Original' and 'matching numbers' are completely different from something unverifiable like 'investment grade' and the current market proves that.
Emil Wojcik
'64 356C Euro coupe
'78 MGB
'86 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
'94 MB E420

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#14 Post by Bruce Smith »

Some folks are better at writing ad copy than others. It's pretty obvious when it's written by someone that also sells boats, trailers, or vacation property. There are real Porsche guys that do it very well, like Paul and Ed at Autokennel. Always informative, and usually entertaining.
Bruce Smith

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#15 Post by Jules Dielen »

investment grade is as valuable as 'all natural' in food items. Since 'natural' is not a defined term you can pretty much slap it on anything, including bleach.

the term 'original' and 'unrestored' are also used liberally. there was an ad on samba from a dealer in Holland recently with an "unrestored, original 356A" with a fresh paint job (taken out of color) and a later engine.... not sure how much of it was original or unrestored.
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.