HELP!

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Ron LaDow
356 Fan

HELP!

#1 Post by Ron LaDow »

Driving to the Lit Meet, leaving SF tomorrow morning. It is raining cats and dogs right now (and the cats are PISSED! The dogs are labs, so they don't care...)
1) If I take 5 south, the Grapevine might be snowed in, and even if it isn’t, 405 from San Fernando is a mess in the rain, particularly if I get there in ‘rush hour’ traffic.
2) If I take 101, the news tells me Montecito is being evacuated for fear of mud slides (as happened last month) meaning I might simply be stopped and told to turn around if those slides happen.
Intellicast has both 'clear' by now but a confused forecast.
Any local knowledge to help?
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

John Brooks
356 Fan

Re: HELP!

#2 Post by John Brooks »

Ron. I am not local, but that MUD is going to slide, all I can say is try to make the grapevine early as possible.
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#3 Post by Ron LaDow »

John Brooks wrote:Ron. I am not local, but that MUD is going to slide, all I can say is try to make the grapevine early as possible.
John, not sure.
https://www.amazon.com/Control-Nature-J ... ohn+mcphee
Like all of McPhee's work, well researched. In the chapter regarding the San Gabes and the chemistry of chaparral soil after a burn, he describes the resulting physics of the slides.
The first one is pretty much inevitable after a burn and a winter rain. Any repetition absent another burn is unlikely in the extreme.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Dick Douglass
356 Fan

#4 Post by Dick Douglass »

Ron,
There is no easy answer. Santa Barbara changed the description for people to evaluate, so that home owners left their property.
I know Jerry is driving down from Hayward .Maybe exchange phone numbers so that if either of you have a problem the other can assist.
Kind of like the 356 travel support system. Is anyone else coming down from the Bay Area? You can text current weather conditions on the 5 or 101 to each other.
356 guys understand!

Bill Coghlan
356 Fan

#5 Post by Bill Coghlan »

I've used Hwy 166 to 33 which will eventually take you into Ojai then down to Ventura - 166 heads westerly from the 5 just north of the junction of the 5 and 99 north of Grapevine. Coming back from skiing once, I hit a closure of the 5 at Grapevine and only had the 166/33 option - it's a LONG way around but an option. I think it's considered a scenic highway but it is typically very desolate. Drive safely.

Dick Douglass
356 Fan

#6 Post by Dick Douglass »

Montecito is OPEN.

They cleaned the drains and everything is draining like it is suppose to. I assume Ron is on the road, but 101 Central Coast might be the best route. Check Google Maps.

Party going on right now at Willhoit's!
Yesterday Spectacular Open House at Sierra Madre Collection "new location". Beer and got to keep the stein. Free Dinner last night at Red Hearing!!!! Thanks SMC.

Pelican Parts Open House last weekend!!! Shout OUT !

And we still have tomorrow at the LAX Hilton and Sunday in Anaheim.

For the cost of the Membership in the 356 Registry you get to EAT for Free all week in Southern California !!!