Half Tonneau Speedster

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Ronald Sieber
356 Fan

Half Tonneau Speedster

#1 Post by Ronald Sieber »

My 57 Speedster has a high-bow cloth top done by Autos Intl, and I'd like to get a half-tonneau made to cover it when it is down.

Brett Johnson's revised edition mentions that the Cab half tonneau was cloth and Speedster was vinyl (pp 36-7). Are there any known instances of a cloth half for a Speedster that someone knows about? Was this an option?

It would nice to match its material with the top... Jus' Sayin'

=rds

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

Re: Half Tonneau Speedster

#2 Post by Edwin Ek »

If you are thinking about the match, a vinyl cover would match the interior.

John Wurner
356 Fan

#3 Post by John Wurner »

Hi Ron
I have an old original Speedster boot cover, if that suits you, its free for the cost of shipping.
John

Ronald Sieber
356 Fan

#4 Post by Ronald Sieber »

I asked the question about the cover material because I was hoping that the cover could also be made in cloth and not violate originality. The convertibles had this option of either vinyl or cloth, if I remember. How about Convertible Ds? Were they just vinyl?

On the convertibles, the top cover had room enough to drape over and hide the top when it was down. Was this also a purpose for the half tonneau on Speedsters? Or did one just remove the the Speedster top and carry it in the chase car with the wife and kids?
(feeble attempt at levity; I need another cup of coffee)

=rds

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#5 Post by Dick Weiss »

Ronald,

The 1/2 boot/cover usually matched the vinyl interior coverings and it had a leather belt on each corner next to the door(s).
You don't want to R & R the complete top from the car--too much trouble! The boot or tonneau covers the downed top.

Dick