Jack Resto Revisited

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jack Banville
356 Fan

Re: Jack Resto Revisited

#16 Post by Jack Banville »

In what cad color are they replated? Gold or white?
Thanks,
Jack

Albert Tiedemann
356 Fan

#17 Post by Albert Tiedemann »

All:

Surely, someone on this forum has purchased one of these handles from Mr Zim's firm and can provide the answer to this simple question and perhaps with a little more effort could post a picture of the handle. I am particularly interested in how the resulting two bends [yes two bends{ this induces a pinching action at the interface with the inside diameter of the jack column when inserted for axial retention for storage}] in the handle look as this will give an indication of the quality [strength] of the handle. At $19.95, I would have to see and feel the product in hand.
Albert Tiedemann, C356C
"The Hermit"

Albert Tiedemann
356 Fan

#18 Post by Albert Tiedemann »

I will have restored jacks and all the parts that you cannot buy at the Hershey Swap 2018. I just received my location stickers this week from the organizers. You can find these jacks and the parts mentioned in this topic at sites B79, B80 and B81. Will also have base blue paint color in the original formulation that was color match in 1962 to a 1959 jack that I restored for the 8th Porsche Parade.

Looking forward to seeing seldom seen faces.
Last edited by Albert Tiedemann on Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Albert Tiedemann, C356C
"The Hermit"

Albert Tiedemann
356 Fan

#19 Post by Albert Tiedemann »

Jack Banville wrote:In what cad color are they replated? Gold or white?
Thanks,
Jack
Sorry to have missed this question earlier. The columns are plated Sn-Zn not Cd and the color is "white".
Albert Tiedemann, C356C
"The Hermit"

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#20 Post by Dick Weiss »

I've made about 1/2 dozen long jack handles which has the 1-end bend so it sticks inside the column/tube.
Cad I plated & approx. 25" long; The short black handle is a VW part and the smaller diameter fits loose,
but used on the pre-A cars(?).

Albert Tiedemann
356 Fan

#21 Post by Albert Tiedemann »

356 Jack Handle Retention.pdf
(220.63 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
In May of 2003 I sent Ken Daughtery a sketch of my 356 jack handle as he was embarking on a project to fabricate one and needed some dimensions. I measured up my handle and found it to be 13 mm diameter, 24.25 inches along the outer profile and that it embodied 2 bends in the end that is captured by the inner diameter of the jack’s column member.

To show why the two bends in the handle may have been “designed in” for capture [retention] during handling or in the driving mode, I have overlaid the column interface with the handle to illustrate the geometry involved. You can see from the diagram which I have included as an attachment, that the gentle, first bend creates a wedging effect brought about by the insertion force, F, and creates frictional retention forces F3 [2 places]

If you do a force analysis about the relevant points shown with the jack handle proportions measured and the column dimensions of the tube used in manufacture [22mm x 3mm wall] , find µ, the frictional coefficient = .2 [a reasonable value for non lubricated steel on steel surfaces] and that F1 = F2 = 2.5F, F3 = F1µ = F2µ and F = 2F3.

Since a steel rod from which the Ø13mm x 24.25 inch long handle is fabricated weighs only ~1.5 lbs., a modest axial load of 5 lbs. applied at point C should retain it from a gravity influenced drop out or 1g cornering forces.
Last edited by Albert Tiedemann on Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Albert Tiedemann, C356C
"The Hermit"

Albert Tiedemann
356 Fan

#22 Post by Albert Tiedemann »

Dick Weiss wrote:I've made about 1/2 dozen long jack handles which has the 1-end bend so it sticks inside the column/tube.
Cad I plated & approx. 25" long; The short black handle is a VW part and the smaller diameter fits loose,
but used on the pre-A cars(?).
Dick:

My jack handle is only 24.25 inches long and sticks out the rubber buffer by about .25 inches. I am not sure of the radius that you used for the one bend version [see previous post] but it would likely follow that at 25 inches it may protrude quite a bit. Do you need a hefty axial load to seat it and retain it at the pinch points?
Albert Tiedemann, C356C
"The Hermit"

Tom Wavrin
356 Fan

#23 Post by Tom Wavrin »

Were the jack handles plated, unplated or painted?
Tom, Reg # 10576, Oregon
'62 1600S Karmann HT

Dan Macdonald
356 Fan

#24 Post by Dan Macdonald »

I'm trying to find the right blue color paint for the jack's restoration.
Anyone have recommendation ?
Dan Macdonald 
'59 A Coupe (105327) 
'57 Speedster (82954) 
Registry #1921 (1982) 
DMAIA@aol.com
My YouTube Channel: Tinmeister 356

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#25 Post by Mike Wilson »

Hi, Dan. I just Googled "356 Porsche jack base color" and found an old Registry thread on the topic.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Peter Silten
356 Fan

#26 Post by Peter Silten »

Hi Dan,

I have restored a good number of jacks. Getting the blue base just right proved to be the biggest challenge. Few people get it right. I finally created the correct shade of blue after much trial and error. I started with a blue model paint and mixed in other colors until I got the correct shade of blue. After sandblasting the base and painting it with a primer, painted using an airbrush. I can't tell you the formula I used because it was all done by eye using an original blue base as my guide. I will be restoring a jack within the next month or so and can add your base to my to do list. If others are interested, I can offer this as a service.

Regards,

Peter

Dan Macdonald
356 Fan

#27 Post by Dan Macdonald »

Thanks Mike and Peter!
Mike, It's amazing to me that searching through Google we find this info pretty easily. Yet when I did a search on the Registry's web site I couldn't find that info. Weird!
Dan Macdonald 
'59 A Coupe (105327) 
'57 Speedster (82954) 
Registry #1921 (1982) 
DMAIA@aol.com
My YouTube Channel: Tinmeister 356

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#28 Post by Mike Wilson »

I find using Google is much easier and faster.

Glad I could be of help but big shout-out to Peter!

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Peter Silten
356 Fan

#29 Post by Peter Silten »

I vaguely recall reading various articles with their paint recommendations. The recommended paints are close but not exactly like the original blue. For many, close is good enough.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#30 Post by Martin Benade »

Whenever I find a Registry article on google it asks me to sign in. Once I sign in I am at the home page, not the article.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna