Time to revisit 6 volt battery options?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Ed Young
356 Fan

Re: Time to revisit 6 volt battery options?

#16 Post by Ed Young »

Using a Optima with 11.2 to 1 with a 7008 Elgin cam without any starting problems. Also added slave solenoid to starter.
Ed
Ed Young

Jack Walter
356 Fan

#17 Post by Jack Walter »

I went ahead and ordered one of the Granite Digital 2365-LCD charger from Newegg - $109 with free shipping. It came yesterday and I hooked it up yesterday evening.
So far I'm pretty impressed and it gives you more information than the NOCO especially on a 6V battery. From what I learned after doing some research, I don't think the NOCO is really designed for 6V AGM batteries.
They have a "Cold" mode for 12V which is recommended for use with an AGM battery like Optima but not a corresponding one for 6V.

I've done a check of resistance and current flow with everything shut off and it all seems good. When I finish rebuilding the fuel filter/regulator tomorrow I'll be able to crank the engine and check the regulator.
I like how the LCD on the Granite unit gives you a readout of battery voltage, charging amperage and percent charged - mre precise than the series of lights on the NOCO unit.
I went ahead and bought an Exide 6V lead/acid battery from Tractor Supply and will have the fully charged 6V Optima to use as auxiliary battery in case I need to jump the car off.
I had a bit of embarrassing moment the last time the car was at Amelia when it wouldn't crank to drive off the show field at the and of the day and I had to go get the trailer and push the Porsche into the trailer right there.
Luckily it had started raining so there weren't too many witnesses....

Jeffrey Leeds
356 Fan

#18 Post by Jeffrey Leeds »

Keep in mind that there are very few real battery manufactures - I believe Johnson Controls is the largest - who actually make batteries. Most that we buy are not made by the brand name on the case.
< Jeff >

Registry Member Since 1978
1963 356B T-6 Super 90 Coupe
2009 997.2 Carrera S
2015 958 Cayenne diesel-1 & 2015 958 Cayenne diesel-2

Jack Walter
356 Fan

#19 Post by Jack Walter »

I've charged both batteries up to full capacity with the Granite Digital charger - works very well so thanks to whoever suggested it.
After looking closely at the NOCO its got a lot of settings for various types of 12Vbatteries but only one 6V generic setting which doesn't work well for AGM batteries.

Jay Broemmel
356 Fan
Instagram: @slouchcycles

#20 Post by Jay Broemmel »

I ran a 6 V, group 1 Caterpillar battery in my car 20 years ago. I was very happy with it. According to their website they still make them. $114. I switched to optima when it finally died because they were new and cool. My USA one lasted nine years. The Mexico one I replaced it with lasted about seven. My second Mexico Optima is currently three years old and no troubles.
Big +1 for the Granite Digital charger. It comes with a wall mount so you can get it up off the floor. You can also get the 20 foot extension cord and hang it down from the ceiling. When you unplug it from the wall power it turns into a tester/voltmeter. Very cool set up. J
Attachments
631D5667-D6AA-486E-A441-1794BBDBB516.jpeg
7C47F393-DA0C-4820-8AB0-44AEB27FD5C7.jpeg
E712AFC1-F48E-4885-AE3A-5420E0120B64.png
Last edited by Jay Broemmel on Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bill Tate
356 Fan

#21 Post by Bill Tate »

I have installed a pair of Optima red tops in my 356A Speedster. Yes, I had to trim the mounting ears off of the ends for them to fit side by side in the battery box. With all connections clean the starter spins faster than ever and the spare tire still can fit as usual.
Bill Tate
Drive your Tub for improved mental health.

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#22 Post by Dick Weiss »

VW is supplying 6V batteries to include availability to Porsche and other vendors; Ready for the price? SIT DOWN--over $875!!!!!!!!!

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#23 Post by Brad Ripley »

Dick, the German 6 volt batteries from Porsche Classic are this: http://www.stoddard.com/90061100191.html about $344.

Paul Ahnell
356 Fan
Tag: What?

#24 Post by Paul Ahnell »

My 6V Optima Redtop crapped out after 2 1/2 years in my '60 Normal daily driver. I don't use a trickle charger since I exercise the unit regularly from ~April to December when the snow flies. Kinda disappointed with such a relatively short life. I noticed towards the end (last Fall) it was cranking slowly and at one point had to put the charger on 2A overnight. Battery was within the 3-year "return for free replacement". Called Summit Racing and they said they would send new one. Didn't have to return old. They even let me wait until this month to ship so I wouldn't use up months of warranty while the sled was tucked away for the winter. Very happy with Summit customer service.
Paul Ahnell
'60 Normal Coupe

Jay Broemmel
356 Fan
Instagram: @slouchcycles

#25 Post by Jay Broemmel »

All of my battery/generator problems disappeared as soon as I started using a maintainer. The car would sit for a month, losing charge. Get in to fire it up. Crank it over until gas gets to the carbs. Battery is now almost dead. Batteries hate being almost dead. Finally fires up. Immediately want to get out on the road to “charge the battery “ and pffft, the genny is cooked from overloading. That Cat battery I had also lasted 7 years. $100 for a good maintainer will pay for itself many times over in savings on batteries and generators. It takes so much strain off the system. My old Battery Tender from Eastwood finally died after I ran it over recently, so I got the GD unit. I would recommend either. J

Rudy Bernhard
356 Fan

#26 Post by Rudy Bernhard »

Reading the earlier discussions, some are using two batteries in parallel, just to get more starting current. Just like the early 911s, care should be taken when using two batteries in parallel. Eventually one battery will be weaker than the other. When this happens, the strong one discharges into the weak one, even with the car off (they are still connected) Heat results. Melted a cable on a 70 911S in my youth when I only replaced a single battery. But the car was bought used for $6000 back then. Al Zim already talked about fires under the hood.
1960 Super Cabriolet, 1963 S90 Coupe
Registry #311
Owned Porsche 356s continuously since 1978
(wow, made 45 years of ownership on the 60 Cab!)

Al Zim
356 Fan

#27 Post by Al Zim »

I would bet that "Porsche" is using the battery that powered the 6 volt VW. It is probably still available in Europe. I cannot see any reason why a battery made is some other country than ours would be better than the ones made here. Porsche Classics is designed to make them money. I would bet that less than 1/100% of Porsche employees know anything about our 356 cars. al zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#28 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Jack I posted this in a battery link last year:NAPA brand 19L 6 volt battery has 440 CCA Interstate 19L has 525 CCA Optima red topSize 6 6 volt has 800 CCA
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Jack Walter
356 Fan

#29 Post by Jack Walter »

Doug McDonnell wrote:Jack I posted this in a battery link last year:NAPA brand 19L 6 volt battery has 440 CCA Interstate 19L has 525 CCA Optima red topSize 6 6 volt has 800 CCA
Thanks - since regularly using the Granite Digital charger as a battery maintainer I haven't had any more battery issues with my Optima.
The Carrera cranks right up and runs great - especially after adjusting the float levels and changing the air correction jets in the carbs.

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#30 Post by Jim Nelson »

I’m on year 11 with a red top Optima, in a car that gets driven year round with some regularity. If I know I’m not going to drive it for a spell— like when it’s going to be 100+ degrees for a few days— I’ll stick the Granite on it to offset the clock parasite. Takes a licking and keeps on ticking...