Time to revisit 6 volt battery options?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Richard Shilling
356 Fan
Tag: Ex 356 Mechanic

Re: Time to revisit 6 volt battery options?

#31 Post by Richard Shilling »

I went on the web and looked for 6 volt batteries. Interstate doesn't list a 6 volt battery on the website. Deka makes a heavy-duty 6 volt. They are in Pennsylvania which is good for those who live nearby and can pick it up, as the pricing is $95.99 plus $73.50 shipping! Duracell automotive makes a 6 Volt HPI but none of the listed dealers seem to carry it. Finally, NAPA sells a 6 volt Commercial battery for $100.00. You have to order it at a dealer and they'll get it in stock. I didn't check dimensions on these batteries so I'm not 100% sure they'll fit all 356's. In my 1965 356C I'm using a VW battery which is smaller than specified but as the weather here in Seattle is relatively mild it starts the car just fine.
Richard Shilling
1965 356C dolphingrey 

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Re: Time to revisit 6 volt battery options?

#32 Post by David Jones »

Try an agricultural store like Tractor Supply or Fleet. I buy mine from Tractor supply and they are often on sale for as little as $60. I have had good luck over the years buying from farm stores as the batteries they sell are the right size and mainly sold for older 6 volt tractors like the Ford 8n of which a half million were made so there are still a lot out there that need batteries.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Tom Wavrin
356 Fan

6 volt battery options-

#33 Post by Tom Wavrin »

AASE sales offers the German Moll 6V battery @ 360 CCA for $255.
My Johnson Controls-made 6V 440 CCA battery has lasted ~7 years on a "Battery Tender". Have used two so called high tech brands of battery maintainers - one failed and the other caused too much evaporation. I use the solid, no-frills 'Battery Tender' on the 356, a Vespa and on a marine battery with good results.
Tom, Reg # 10576, Oregon
'62 1600S Karmann HT