Seat won't stay upright

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Scott Nowell
356 Fan

Seat won't stay upright

#1 Post by Scott Nowell »

Wonder if someone could help. I've got a seat in a 1964 C that adds excitement to any drive by reclining by itself at random. Usually under weight, and always just when you've forgotten you have seat problems and are innocently enjoying the drive.

Seems the splines aren't engaging properly even when the seat adjustment lever is held fully closed. Is there a way of fixing this without having to buy a replacement recliner?

Seat is the driver's side on a RHD car that was converted from LHD many years ago.

Any help much appreciated.
Attachments
356C Seat.png
356C Seat.png (3 MiB) Viewed 400 times

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

Re: Seat won't stay upright

#2 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

From esteemed Registry member Ron LaDow:

https://precisionmatters.biz/seat-popper-stoppers.php
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1967 Karmann Ghia Convertible
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Scott Nowell
356 Fan

#3 Post by Scott Nowell »

Brilliant, thanks Sebastian

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#4 Post by Doug McDonnell »

65 seat hinge not 64
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#5 Post by Jim Liberty »

If the car is just a driver, I've drilled a hole through the mechanism, and put a chrome stove bolt through it. Looks OK and problem solved permanently. ....Jim.
Jim Liberty

WilliamVaughan
356 Fan

#6 Post by WilliamVaughan »

Your seat mechanisms are beautiful. They look like they have been rechromed. Your photo shows the passenger seat left side in the background. It does not have the plastic cover over it. I will assume the right side does not have its plastic cover either. (bad assumption?) The door-side hinge plastic cover prevents
a steel piece in the mechanism from moving out of its proper place. That is why you seat back is falling down. See see popper stoppers by Ron LaDow for use with out covers. But also see the grey plastic reproduction covers advertised by Stoddard / NLA. You can not omit the plastic cover.

Scott Nowell
356 Fan

#7 Post by Scott Nowell »

Robert, yes they are re-chromed and neither side has a plastic cover. I wasn't aware they ever had them... I will take a look at Stoddard, thanks for the heads-up. Jim, that sounds like an effective method! Doug, I have just been reading another thread on restoring seats and became aware they are in fact a '65 hinge as opposed to the button mechanism in the '64.