Koni Steering Damper

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Eric McKinley
356 Fan

Koni Steering Damper

#1 Post by Eric McKinley »

I have been putting off buying the vastly over priced koni steering damper however I finally conceded and bought one.

The instructions that come with it in relation to setting it are not very good.

Can someone offer advise on the correct way to set the damper before I bolt it into place.

Many Thanks.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

Re: Koni Steering Damper

#2 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Eric on a "C" like yours there is a protruding "Nub" where it is mounted on passengers side. Only one way to fit it correctly with that Nub as I remember.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Eric McKinley
356 Fan

#3 Post by Eric McKinley »

Thanks Doug,

Yes you are correct, trying to get the adjustment of the steering damper pre fitment to the car.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#4 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Here is an adjustment link: viewtopic.php?f=topic&t=21004
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Eric McKinley
356 Fan

#5 Post by Eric McKinley »

Doug having read that thread it appears that the koni Shock comes out of the box at the softest setting.

On both occasions on that thread both owners had to set it midway, however there is no instruction that I can see to correctly do this.

Has anyone any advise on how to achieve this correctly.

Many Thanks.

Eric McKinley
356 Fan

#6 Post by Eric McKinley »

Doug,

Now we are getting somewhere, I shall try this tomorrow morning and report back.

Many Thanks as always

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#7 Post by Edwin Ek »

Can you tell if the steering damper should be replaced without driving the car?

My car has been sitting since 1994 but is coming back on the road-- it is half apart now. This is the time to replace the damper if needed.

Eric McKinley
356 Fan

#8 Post by Eric McKinley »

I fitted the koni steering damper today.

I removed the other one and the new koni slipped right onto the left and right bolts very easily.

Lying on the ground under the car looking up, the left bolt is the removable one and the right bolt is the C clamp, so this bolt is easier to place the castle nut onto and line up the hole for the split pin as it won't spin freely as it is part of the C clamp.
The left bolt does turns when you start to get some resistance on it with the castle nut, a second person with a spanner above holding this nut would be perfect. However I didn't have this so you need to get a spanner up over the steering damper and onto the head of the bolt and another socket on the castle nut and turn until it is tight and the hole lines up for the split pin.

On the koni steering damper there is a yellow sticker which has some words printed on it, one of this being "under", you need to be able to see this sticker when under the car, this indicates it is on the correct way, something to do with oil getting to the internals I believe. I got this from one of Mike Smiths posts on the matter.

In relation to the initial setting of the steering damper, having read a few posts I decided to set it midway. I simply compressed the damper fully and then counted the revolutions it took me to turn it from one side to the other. I then just turned it half these revolutions to get the midway point.

It was very hard to get a picture lying on my back, hope this shows it clearly.
Attachments
image.jpeg

Wil Mittelbach
356 Fan

#9 Post by Wil Mittelbach »

Question:-
Does the replacement Koni have the same stroke as a C car's original steering damper, thereby not changing the car's original turning radius?

Eric McKinley
356 Fan

#10 Post by Eric McKinley »

Wil,

From the research I have done it appears to be the damper of choice for the correct turning radius.
Other dampers I believe work well however do not give the full turn.

The clamp does not have to be moved from its original position on the tube, this would indicate to me that it gives the correct turning radius, having read other threads on the subject it appears that with other steering dampers the clamp is moved to accommodate the damper.

I am sure other members with more experience on fitting these regularly to cars will be able to give a more definitive answer.

Wil Mittelbach
356 Fan

#11 Post by Wil Mittelbach »

Eric -
Thanks for your response.
But I still have the question if your Koni replacement has the "same stroke" as the car's original steering damper, thereby not increasing the right, or left, original turning radius when it's mounted with a suspected shorter stroke in the car's original damper position.
Hope all is well in the Belfast winter,
- Wil

Eric McKinley
356 Fan

#12 Post by Eric McKinley »

Wil,

The winter has been cold and wet, nothing new here.

In relation to the koni damper I believe it is the same stroke as the original damper.

It is the other makes that give a less turning radius.

Anyone else with more experience in these like to add a little.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#13 Post by Doug McDonnell »

In this link are stroke distances for Original foe A Stabilus and C Boge steering dampers. Provided by Larry Coreth. Now we just need measurements of the Koni currently sold to give Will an answer. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28635

Hugo Karasawa
356 Fan

#14 Post by Hugo Karasawa »

I have a used Boge 1-0030-22 524 0 695 347 501 00 and a Koni 76-1099.
The Boge is 15mm longer, but the stroke is the same.
In the closed position the Koni is 270mm long , extended position is 420mm , stroke 150mm
The Boge is 285mm and 435mm , stroke 150mm.
Attachments
amortiguador dir 01.JPG
amortiguador dir 02.JPG

Hugo Karasawa
356 Fan

#15 Post by Hugo Karasawa »

Length comparisson
Attachments
amortiguador dir 04.JPG