Koni Steering Damper

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

Re: Koni Steering Damper

#16 Post by Jim Liberty »

When you consider the cost of the restoration, putting the very best parts on the car is always my choice. The labor is the same. I'm probably the master of "Over Kill", but have always been that way. I've never been sorry. KONI's all around on my cars, all 5. Do it right and you'll only have to do it once. Or with me maybe two or three times. ...........................Jim.
Jim Liberty

Wil Mittelbach
356 Fan

#17 Post by Wil Mittelbach »

If a replacement steering damper has a shorter stroke than the original damper and is mounted at the original's anchor position, it would result in an increase of the car's right turn radius.
Alternatively, most replacements require the re-positioning of the original anchor/mount position to ensure equal left/right turn radii.
As a reference, herewith a photo of my C car's original damper and mount.
Attachments
Steering Damper.JPG

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#18 Post by Jules Dielen »

The original steering damper hasn’t been available for a number of years; it was made by Boge. However, now there are two replacements. The one closest to the original is by the famous Dutch firm of Koni. It’s a little larger in diameter and measures 448 mm long fully extended (300 mm collapsed). You’ll find it marked: 76-1099. By the way, the Koni is adjustable for wear and guaranteed for life.

Or, you may have a smaller diameter version made by Sachs/Boge which measures 425 full extended (290 mm collapsed). It’s actually a VW Transporter unit and may be marked 211 425 021 A. There are also other brands, made in either Mexico or Brazil.

The Sachs/Boge/VW shock is slightly shorter than the Koni, which will limit your turning radius. If you’ve installed wider 5.5 inch wheels, then the tire rub on the body will do the limiting without harming the steering damper.

History Trivia -- A steering damper was first installed on 356A models along with the change from a VW steering box to the better ZF box (1957 T-2 on thru 356C). A slight change was made at the 356C with the clamp having a locating pin which eliminates the measuring describe above – unless you use the Sachs/Boge unit, in which case, you will have to grind off the pin.

Courtesy of Brad.
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Tom Wavrin
356 Fan

Koni Steering Damper

#19 Post by Tom Wavrin »

I replaced my Porsche Boge dampner yesterday with an NOS orange Koni. The measurements match Hugo's. I'm attaching images of the '60 workshop manual that show placement and orientation of the clamp and the 140 mm distance from the side of the center torsion tube bracket. Also included the workshop manual instructions for Koni adjustment.
IMG_0561.JPG
IMG_0560.JPG
IMG_0558.JPG
On my '62 the clamp is on the top torsion tube, has the locating pin and dampner is oriented like Wil's. The distance from the side of the center torsion tube bracket is 165 mm.
Tom, Reg # 10576, Oregon
'62 1600S Karmann HT

Tom Wavrin
356 Fan

Koni Steering Damper

#20 Post by Tom Wavrin »

I'm including images of the paperwork supplied with the Koni dampner from the 1961 printing for those interested in a little history.
IMG_0581.JPG
IMG_0580.JPG
IMG_0579.JPG
IMG_0577.JPG
IMG_0575.JPG
Tom, Reg # 10576, Oregon
'62 1600S Karmann HT

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#21 Post by Jim Liberty »

I also have a set-up for installing a steering (Koni) damper on Pre - A cars. Overkill indeed. It came off a Pre - A Speedster race car that come through our shop a lot of years ago. I plan to put it on the '54 I'm working on now. ...............Jim.
Jim Liberty

Peter Smit
356 Fan

#22 Post by Peter Smit »

Wil Mittelbach wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:37 am As a reference, herewith a photo of my C car's original damper and mount.
Thanks for the reference. If I may add to this, the damper in the photo I believe should be positioned the other way around. I.e. the side of the damper with the tube that slides over the inner tube, in the documentation is positioned nearest to the pitman arm. The Koni installation instructions also advise the other-way-around orientation. It might be important for the longevity of the damper.
Were are you engine #700267 ?