Front Drum Brake Backing Plate installation

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
gregg hake
356 Fan

Front Drum Brake Backing Plate installation

#1 Post by gregg hake »

Greetings

1. As I install my front backing plates, it appears that the rubber brake line connects to the fitting at the BOTTOM of the plate. Since there isn't much slack in the hose when the wheel is turned all the way, I wonder if I assembled something wrong and if maybe the fitting should somehow be on top. Instinctively, it seems like the fitting should be on the TOP, as this would allow more slack AND would keep the rubber hose farther from the road (and rubber-shredding debris).
Have I done something wrong?
2. Is there a difference between a right and left front drum brake backing plate?

Thanks for your input.

Gregg

Martin Benade
356 Fan

Re: Front Drum Brake Backing Plate installation

#2 Post by Martin Benade »

Left and right are different. Make sure you have two leading shoes per side, two trailing shoes works terrible!
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#3 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Hose at the bottom! Make sure you have the correct length.

gregg hake
356 Fan

#4 Post by gregg hake »

Thanks Guys.

I don't know what a " 2 leading shoes per side" means, as all of my shoes look identical, but please look at the jpg.

My hose is at the bottom, and I have 2 different new sets of hoses from Stoddard to compare... all the same length so I must be OK.

I may be trying to out logic Ferdinand !

Gregg
IMG_3455.JPG

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#5 Post by Martin Benade »

Leading shoes refers actually to which end of the shoes are pushed by the cylinders in respect to normal forward wheel rotation. Your picture is installed correctly. I cannot come up with the best words to define it, but if you pictured the cylinders and adjusters swapped, it would be considered to be trailing. It is not so much the shoe as the actuation of the shoe. Leading show gives a servo action that multiplies your foot pressure. (I think servo is the correct term). Driving a 356 in reverse, it will be obvious how much less effective the brakes are in reverse, although they still do the job.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#6 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Greg; do you have the front shock absorbers hooked up? If not, the suspension will droop more than standard and make it seem as if the hoses are too short.

Steve Harrison
356 Fan

#7 Post by Steve Harrison »

Another detail I like to observe is scraping all paint off the backing plate and spindle mating surfaces. I know it might look a little scrubby after you get it done because you’ll inevitably scrape a little more than the surfaces cover when installed. You can always touch that up after.
I don’t remember where I read that,...manual, or Elfrink, but I think I remember reading it in there.

You also might want to take another look at the safety wiring you’ve got there. Each wire is intended to transfer “tightening” direction to the next bolt if any of them loosen.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#8 Post by Martin Benade »

Safety wiring correctly is probably only a theoretical improvement.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

gregg hake
356 Fan

#9 Post by gregg hake »

Great observations, guys. The shocks are completely extended so the hose is having to reach as far as possible. Once I drop the car, the distance will shorten considerably.

And the wire...that was my first attempt. The wire was a mystery wire I had knocking around my shop and it was too brittle so I removed it all today and got some different wire this afternoon. I will remove the bolts and re-insert so the holes are lined up better and then try the wire again.

But first...the Super Bowl !