SCAM ALERT - 356 C

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Scott Ramsay
356 Fan

SCAM ALERT - 356 C

#1 Post by Scott Ramsay »

I was contacted through the registry after posting an ad for a 356 wanted. After going back and forth and communicating over email and text it was very clear this was a scam. They also send me the exact same photos (different locations) of a car posted on Auto Trader 6 weeks ago. They phone number they are using is (703) 662-4434. They also tried to refer me for the PPI to porschepple@consultant.com. I looked and found a similar scam on Pelican Parts. Be Aware! Oh, they also wanted a deposit to hold the car until the PPI was complete. FYI, it is a green 1964 356 C.
They used the names: Donna Burney at bestdna0089@outlook.com and her husband John. Also referenced a cousin, Patrice Belkowiche. Patrice is who tried to sell me the car on Auto Trader 6 weeks ago.

Curt Dansby
356 Fan

Re: SCAM ALERT - 356 C

#2 Post by Curt Dansby »

This appears to be a new tactic on our site. We have been very good at catching scam car and parts posts so the crooks must be thinking they can fly under the radar by contacting people running WTB ads. This persons account is deleted. Please exercise caution in this area and alert Mary, Greg, Rhys, Frank or me if this happens to you.

"Lets be careful out there" - Sgt. Phil Esterhaus

Curt

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#3 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Thanks for the heads up Scott. A few have been scammed before. Lots of good people here who know of cars for sale but a few bad apples. I alway ask for a specific photo with the date on it.
Attachments
unnamed.jpg
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Scott Ramsay
356 Fan

#4 Post by Scott Ramsay »

Good idea, thanks!

Marc Allingham
356 Fan

#5 Post by Marc Allingham »

Why doesn't the Registry create a 'verified' classified section. Easy to do and should be a value add for members, buyers and sellers.
Marc A.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#6 Post by Adam Wright »

Doug McDonnell wrote:Thanks for the heads up Scott. A few have been scammed before. Lots of good people here who know of cars for sale but a few bad apples. I alway ask for a specific photo with the date on it.
I've been asked for a photo with me with the car, I'm always happy to oblige.
Attachments
59cabadam1.jpg
59cabadam2.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#7 Post by Jim Liberty »

BUY THE SELLER, NOT THE CAR !!! Jim.
Jim Liberty

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#8 Post by Adam Wright »

Jim Liberty wrote:BUY THE SELLER, NOT THE CAR !!! Jim.
Jim-
I just checked with my wife, I'm not for sale, sorry....
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Fred Otjen
356 Fan

#9 Post by Fred Otjen »

Should have read this thread first!! In response to a wanted ad for an SC coupe I got an email reply from Donna Burney! Pictures show a pretty red/black SC with Oregon plates. Here's text of second emai:
Sorry, I live in Oregon before I move to Ohio so am in Ohio right now
with the car so can you come and buy the car here or you would prefer
me to ship it to you after buying it?
If you want me to send you more details about the car let me know so I
can send it.
Thanks
So I'm done. Can't the moderators do anything?

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#10 Post by Jim Liberty »

It is often difficult to tell the difference between a scam, and just a dumb seller. Whenever you are not sure, just don't take the chance, unless you see the car and title, or have a local expert inspect it. ......................Jim.
Jim Liberty

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#11 Post by Wes Bender »

Jim's advice is spot on. Know the seller. Check out the car (in person, if possible). The moderators do an excellent job of trying to protect us, but they can't be totally invincible. The final responsibility lies with the person spending the $$$.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#12 Post by Adam Wright »

Easiest way to weed out a scammer, ask for a phone number. It's a lot easier to lie over email or text then it is over the phone. Most times scammers will not talk to you on the phone and my rule is if you want thousands of my dollars, you can speak.

The other sure fire way to weed out the scammers is to ask where they are and that you want to fly in and look at the car. I have people do this all the time, I say, "Sure, I'll pick you up at the airport." They almost never fly in, they just want to know that you are for real.

The other thing you can do is do things like post it here, or a pic of the car here, most times someone has seen the car somewhere else, or can spot obvious flaws in the pics. Like when the guy says he is in South Dakota and you see palm trees in the pictures.
www.unobtanium-inc.com