Need Appraiser for My Car

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Greg Dumond
356 Fan

Need Appraiser for My Car

#1 Post by Greg Dumond »

Guys, I am increasing my coverage on my car with State Farm Classic car insurance. According to their policy anything valued over $150K requires an appraisal. I know I'm probably a bit under insured with my 1957 356A T1 Cabriolet. Does anyone have a recommendation for an appraiser in the Los Angeles or Ventura County areas in California? I was thinking this might be a nice item to have anyway.

Any thoughts on the value of having the car appraised? I have the COA and Kardex but have never had the car appraised.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

Re: Need Appraiser for My Car

#2 Post by Martin Benade »

I imagine State Farm can provide you names of appraisers that they consider legit. If they don't trust the appraiser, it becomes meaningless if there is a claim.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Steve Kram
356 Fan

#3 Post by Steve Kram »

I would suggest Ed Rutherford at Klasse in Torrance

Greg Dumond
356 Fan

#4 Post by Greg Dumond »

Martin they never offered such a list so I'm assuming they don't get involved with appraisers. Your point is well taken though.

Greg Dumond
356 Fan

#5 Post by Greg Dumond »

Steve Kram wrote:I would suggest Ed Rutherford at Klasse in Torrance
Steve thank you for Ed Rutherford name. I'll check with him in the morning.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#6 Post by Mike Wilson »

Ed will be out of the office tomorrow morning but will be back in the shop in the afternoon.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#7 Post by Martin Benade »

You might ask them what qualifications they require. I have appraised customer's cars in the past, but even if my value was correct, I have no credentials that show me to be an expert.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Greg Dumond
356 Fan

#8 Post by Greg Dumond »

Thanks for the heads up on Ed's schedule Mike!

Peter Silten
356 Fan

#9 Post by Peter Silten »

I have Hagerty and have never been asked to provide an appraisal for either of my two cars, one of which is valued and insured for over 150k. They just asked for photographs of both of my cars.

Greg Dumond
356 Fan

#10 Post by Greg Dumond »

Hello Peter I was wondering the same thing if Hagerty has that requirement? Good to know. I checked their rates a while back and they were actually higher than State Farm surprisingly. I may revisit them and check pricing again. Sounds like less of a hassle if nothing else.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#11 Post by Mike Wilson »

I have Hagerty and an appraisal was required. John Willhoit provided that for me.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#12 Post by Vic Skirmants »

I have never needed an appraisal with Hagerty.

Perry Pessia
356 Fan

#13 Post by Perry Pessia »

Hagerty actually called me to suggest I bump my coverage. But, it's under $150k.

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#14 Post by Jim Liberty »

Talk to Hagerty. If they need an appraisal, Ed R. is a good pick. Hands down the best. ........................Jim.
Jim Liberty

Dan Kalinski
356 Fan

#15 Post by Dan Kalinski »

Should you have multiple collector cars to insure, Hagerty has a division called "Private Client Services" and when working directly with the representative, (not your local agent) agreed value can be assessed. Once your relationship is established, an e-mail with the information on the car, your assessment of value, and a couple of pictures, they have never declined my request to insure and have several times, suggested higher agreed value based on their knowledge of the marque.

They won't cover my DD's, but cover all of our collector cars from '55 to '12 model years.

As for appraisal, would think this following formula works well and one we have used: What's the number you will need to replace your car in the condition/fitness it is in now. (A little research here and other venues on the internet will get you pretty close to that number.) Add the hassle factor to find a replacement and a premium for "pain and suffering" due to the loss of your car.

Of course, the above is for a total loss but if the car goes in for repair, the same formula should work but then add the diminished value to car since it may not be as "pristine" as it once was.