Hood hinge/latch question

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
chris romney
356 Fan

Hood hinge/latch question

#1 Post by chris romney »

Hopefully someone on the talk list has had the same problem. I have a '58 A where the hood latch doesn't catch and hold the hood open until it's far lower than any other 356 I've owned. I compared it to my other 356 which is working correctly. The hood which is functioning correctly holds the hood open 38.5 inches as measured from the bottom part of the leading edge of the hood to the hood lip. The one which isn't correct only holds it open 27.25 inches. I've had latches which don't catch and hold the hood open at all, but never one where it catches every time, just far too low. I'm guessing that the wheel shaped latch inside the hinge isn't functioning correctly and the latch needs to be taken apart. Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions any of you might have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Chris

Mervyn Hyde
356 Fan

Re: Hood hinge/latch question

#2 Post by Mervyn Hyde »

Chris, the Workshop Manual has a description on pps B4-5. Can you reach into the hinge with a metal probe and realign the star-wheels, if that is the issue?
Merv
TYP356
1963 356B T6
1968 911 SWB

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#3 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Wasn't the speedster set up to not open the hood too much, so as not to hit the windshield wipers?
Maybe you have speedster hinges?

chris romney
356 Fan

#4 Post by chris romney »

Thanks guys. Good suggestions. Vic, would you remember how far a Speedster hood should open? I'm just trying to make it a little easier to fill the gas tank.

Chris

Ned Hamlin
356 Fan

#5 Post by Ned Hamlin »

My '58 Speedster has the same issue, so it sounds like Vic is correct. I'll measure the distance on it today and get back.
Ned Hamlin
'64 Bali Blue coupe
'65 Togo Brown SC
'58 Ruby Speedster
'65 Dolphin Grey coupe
'63 Carrera 2 coupe

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there - George Harrison/Yogi Berra

Norm Miller
356 Fan
Tag: Official curmudgeon

#6 Post by Norm Miller »

I can't remember the height but I would check the hinge pockets and insure they are not tweeked.
Not uncommon for post front collision repairs.

To re-adjust remove the hood and force the hinge upward, cheater bar required.

Fred Otjen
356 Fan

#7 Post by Fred Otjen »

A '58 speedster of mine is like that too, about 26" open. My '57 coupe opens another 12" . Glad to learn this info. Yes it is more challenging to put fuel in the speedster.

John Brooks
356 Fan

#8 Post by John Brooks »

If my memory servers me correct coupe and cab hoods open wider than speedsters and roadsters. I saw a factory photo in a book somewhere, that showed a floor full of cars on the assembly line with the hoods open. The speedsters were odvious by the open hood hight.
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

chris romney
356 Fan

#9 Post by chris romney »

The car in question is a '58 Speedster. Vic, John and others who noted that both Speedster and roadster hoods have different hinges and open almost a foot less than coupes are spot on. After polling a few friends with Speedsters and roadsters it seems that approximately 27.5 inches is normal for a Speedster, roadsters open about 2 inches more. My A coupe opens around 38 inches. Thanks to everyone who responded. Very informative.

Chris

Mervyn Hyde
356 Fan

#10 Post by Mervyn Hyde »

Ah. That helps to know what car is involved.
Merv
TYP356
1963 356B T6
1968 911 SWB

Ned Hamlin
356 Fan

#11 Post by Ned Hamlin »

I measured my '58 Speedster and C coupe today - Speedster is 34" and the coupe is 39".
You might try holding the Speedster hood with one hand and fiddling with the hinge star wheel with the other. You can get different heights by spinning the star sometimes. Occasionally that's the only way I can get the hood to shut.
Ned Hamlin
'64 Bali Blue coupe
'65 Togo Brown SC
'58 Ruby Speedster
'65 Dolphin Grey coupe
'63 Carrera 2 coupe

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there - George Harrison/Yogi Berra

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#12 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Ned Hamlin wrote:I measured my '58 Speedster and C coupe today - Speedster is 34" and the coupe is 39".
You might try holding the Speedster hood with one hand and fiddling with the hinge star wheel with the other. You can get different heights by spinning the star sometimes. Occasionally that's the only way I can get the hood to shut.
You can not get different heights by spinning the star. The height limit is built into the hinge. Yes, sometimes you need to "tickle" the star to get it to release.

Dave Merz
356 Fan

#13 Post by Dave Merz »

All the Speedsters I've seen over the years never opened as high as Coupes and mine also measures about 27.5"

George Hussey
356 Fan

#14 Post by George Hussey »

Good information! I was always wondering why my t5 roadster hood did not open as far as my cabs! I actually thought that since the car had been in many accidents in the distant past that the cowl was bent (even though it wasn't! LOL)
Attachments
scan0004.jpg
George Hussey

George Hussey
356 Fan

#15 Post by George Hussey »

and now
Attachments
1-1.jpg
George Hussey