speedo Installation

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
John Clarke
356 Fan

speedo Installation

#1 Post by John Clarke »

Hi all
The term "Any idiot can take it apart" comes to mind. And I also wonder if Harry had it hidden somewhere in his Secrets book ! I can't for the life of me, get the Speedo dashboard clamp installed on the back of the speedo! I have been upside down with my head on the floor with blood rushing to my head with an LED flashlight, but can't see the back of the Speedo because the radio is in the way! Feeling fairly unwell doing handstands under the dash. I've tried to do this by feel from the drivers seat (RHD) with no success. While I'm on, is there a special tool required to lock the Ring on the ignition switch where it clamps it to the dash? Fed up with it rotating when I go to turn the key to start !
Any help appreciated.
Cheers Jay

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: speedo Installation

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

Jay: if you were near me (Southern California), I'd gladly lend you a hand. You are on the right track. Maybe have the speedo partially seated and try to line up the bracket behind it?

As far as the bezel for the ignition switch, I use snap ring pliers with angled tips to tighten it. There is also a tool made by one of our members that tightens the bezels on the various switches.

Best of luck!

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#3 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Ignition should have a "lock ring". If missing then ignition will spin when you try to turn key to start the car.
Attachments
Porsche%20ign.jpg
Porsche%20ign.jpg (16.74 KiB) Viewed 1579 times
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#4 Post by David Jones »

Jay, do you have this lock washer in place behind the dash on the ignition switch? Without it the switch will never stay tight. Not sure where you will find one in the UK but try the usual suspects.
https://www.aasesales.com/products/h2l-e60-5p-104891
Attachments
DSCN9814_18698a69-b644-4bef-aba3-70481db5be23_1024x1024.JPG
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#5 Post by Mike Wilson »

I missed that one, guys. Thanks..

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

John Clarke
356 Fan

#6 Post by John Clarke »

Thanks guys
Mike , that worked. Pulled the speedo half out of the dash and could see the clamp bracket location better. I clamped what I think is an instrument earth/ground wire connector to one of the bracket posts on the rear of the speedo, is that correct? Doug and David, Reference the ignition switch, It only has a multi sided Nut on the ignition switch behind the dash and ONLY the Chrome bezel nut with the 4 holes in it at the front ( I will search for that special tool). The lugged locking washer is missing. Paul at PRS over here may Have one. Thanks for the link David.
Cheers Jay

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#7 Post by Doug McDonnell »

My 65 Outlaw was missing that ignition lock washer when I bought the car. A Royal Pain to reach up behind dash and hold ignition to start the car. Be aware that the cylinder it goes on (and thus the size) is different stock vs Bosch Universal replacement ignition switch. The stock one can be modified to work with the larger shaft of the Universal ignition with a small file.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#8 Post by Dick Weiss »

You must adjust the hex nut (behind the dash) to make sure the bezel doesn't bottom out when tightening it.
There are times the 2-little tabs (on the notched lock washer) needs reshaping to locate to the dash-notches; I've seen
several which have been flattened & not allowing the switch to be 'locked' to the dash.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#9 Post by Mike Wilson »

Congrats on getting the bracket installed. We're here to help!

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#10 Post by Mike Wilson »

The special washer is available from Aase Sales in the U.S. for $12 USD. Of course, someone might have a spare one they can send you gratis.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

John Clarke
356 Fan

#11 Post by John Clarke »

Thanks everyone for all the great help. With regard to the missing locking washer for the ignition switch, it would appear that we have NO location lugs or cut outs where the outer part of this missing washer would locate on our dashboard! The dashboard hole is somewhat larger than the ignition switch! Whether some Previous Owner in the past had enlarged this and removed the lugs or recess/cut outs in order to fit a non stock ignition switch,(thanks for that) not sure. Trying to think of some other way to locate the barrel of the switch, maybe using a large hard rubber washer at the rear and rubber O ring behind the chrome bezel. Or fabricate the correct profile hole in a small piece of steel & JB weld it in place at the rear of the dash. (obviously using that missing locking washer) So much other stuff to do !
Any thoughts?
Cheers Jay

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#12 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Here is a picture from Paul Hatfield's latest car showing the cut outs for the lock washer. I can get you dimensions from my 65 if you need them.
Attachments
dash%20progress.JPG

Cory Evens
356 Fan

#13 Post by Cory Evens »

I got my special made bezel tool from the guy who makes them but I can't recall his name. Do a search on ebay. He sells them regular there and sometimes you see them in the classifieds here. Has two sizes. But there are also other options if you can't find that one. It's really nice though. Like a pair of pliers. Great thing is he machines the place around the pins to a concave shape that fits the round shape of the bezel so it doesn't mar the bezel when installing. Other types are more like sockets you attach a drive to which I don't think are shaped the same way.

Dave Merz
356 Fan

#14 Post by Dave Merz »

I think it's John Copello in Sonora, CA

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#15 Post by Doug McDonnell »