Zenith Air Filter Gaskets

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Dave Erickson
356 Fan

Zenith Air Filter Gaskets

#1 Post by Dave Erickson »

Rhetorical question I suppose, but why are Zenith air filter gaskets so hard to find? The only place I could find them was PartsHeaven. Stoddards and the other usual suppliers don't carry them, at least not by the part number 61610891100. Maybe the problem is that most people don't know about them. I seldom see them inside used Zenith air cleaners. They are the rubber gasket that fits under the filter and stops it from rattling inside the can. Another reason they may not be known so well is that there is no photo of them in the parts catalog, just a line listing.

-Dave

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

Re: Zenith Air Filter Gaskets

#2 Post by Ron LaDow »

Dave, I'm guessing you are correct regarding the lack of parts catalogue listings.
My first C ('73?) rattled the filters like crazy, and I cut some rings of 1/8" nitrile without even knowing they were a replacement for the stock parts.
My next C had the originals; epiphany!
I've managed to scrounge originals or repros (Curt was making them some time back) or cutting up some nitrile sheeting since then.
You can hear the cars that don't have them a ways off.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#3 Post by Wes Bender »

Easy to make replacements, although not exactly correct. I suspect that the ones that go missing probably stuck to the bottom of the filter cartridge and were tossed out. I have one original and one I made.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#4 Post by Dick Weiss »

In the past, there were some Zenith filter cartridges that were a little on the short side, and if the cover/lid latches
didn't really "snap-lock" and you could feel the cartridge is still loose, you'll need a large O-ring under the cart's face.
There once was a shaped rubber sealing ring fitted inside the can to allow the lid(s) being latched properly.

Paul Hatfield
356 Registry Member

#5 Post by Paul Hatfield »

Here is a photo of one from my air filter canisters. Can't say for sure that it is original, but it sure works well.
Attachments
air filter gasket.jpg
Paul Hatfield
"Miss April"
http://www.enginesinback.com

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#6 Post by Dave Erickson »

I just received the ones I ordered from Parts Heaven, they are the same as Paul's photo and my one original.

-Dave