Key Chart

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Daniel Roman
356 Fan

Key Chart

#1 Post by Daniel Roman »

Hello everyone,
We are in search of a good copy of an early key chart. We ran across it about a week ago and inadvertently closed the page before a successful download. This key chart shows Pre A key OEM key blanks such as the ignition keys NPN 228 and NPN 610. It is not any of the ones we have listed here. It is on a yellow paper stock like the key charts below. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance to all who reply/contribute.

Chart can most likely be found in the "Porsche Cars Distributors, Inc." manual/documents. It would predate the one shown below and have a header starting with 356, 356-A, etc. The one that predates the 1968 key chart below, also from PCD, inc.
Attachments
Tony Porsche key chart.jpg
Porsche Key Chart Info 3.jpg
Porsche Key Chart Info 3.jpg (52.52 KiB) Viewed 2368 times
Porsche Key Chart Info 2.jpg
Porsche Key Chart Info 2.jpg (26.72 KiB) Viewed 2368 times
Porsche Key Chart Info 1.jpg
Porsche Key Chart Info 1.jpg (49.11 KiB) Viewed 2368 times
Porsche Key Chart Info.jpg
Porsche Key Chart Info.jpg (30.05 KiB) Viewed 2368 times
Last edited by Daniel Roman on Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
TWEETS Restorations -- For all of your lock and key needs
DRROCKETDAN@gmail.com
Member: 914World 914Club PelicanParts TheSamba Early911sRegistry 912bbs Rennlist

Steve Douglas
356 Fan

Re: Key Chart

#2 Post by Steve Douglas »

Nice set of key charts. I have a mystery key that came with my 59 A Coupe. Picture shows from the right; ignition key K173, center ones are Glove Box C 153 ( Logo on different sides ) and the smaller mystery key. Thought it could have been for a spare tire lock, or a anti-theft device, or locking ski rack. Any ideas???
Attachments
IMG_1777.jpg

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#3 Post by Brad Ripley »

Maybe a key to a padlock for the cable on a car cover?
Is there not a number or any ID on the other side of the key?

Steve Douglas
356 Fan

#4 Post by Steve Douglas »

Brad the smaller key has a 65 stamped on it.

Dave Merz
356 Fan

#5 Post by Dave Merz »

Looks like early square door handle key to me.

Rick Albro
356 Fan

#6 Post by Rick Albro »

The early square door keys have a shoulder on both sides. Brad Ripley is probably right in that this is a padlock key. I have found most of the early replacement key blanks but be aware that some or most of these replacement key blanks have slightly different offsets. This means that if you cut the key to code then the offset still has to be "adjusted" to fit assuming that the wear of the gates and the cylinder is within reason. Basically replacement blanks have to be hand fit. Most lock smiths have a code book that also lists the original key blanks and common replacements. Reality of 50-60 year old locks dictates the need for some careful fitting to make the locks work the way they should.

The chart that was originally queried I think is in the Baxter files
Attachments
IMG_7905.JPG
pre a keys.jpg
square door keys.jpg

Daniel Roman
356 Fan

#7 Post by Daniel Roman »

Steve Douglas wrote:Nice set of key charts. I have a mystery key that came with my 59 A Coupe. Picture shows from the right; ignition key K173, center ones are Glove Box C 153 ( Logo on different sides ) and the smaller mystery key. Thought it could have been for a spare tire lock, or a anti-theft device, or locking ski rack. Any ideas???

Is there a code stamped on the reverse of the key? The profile of the square door handle key and early glove box are almost identical. The square door handle key blank usually had two shoulders. Your key has one shoulder like the early glove box key. Your key does look like a very early unbranded German made auto key. How many grooves on the back side of the Key?
Attachments
356 Square Door Handle key blank styles 2.png
DRROCKETDAN@gmail.com
Member: 914World 914Club PelicanParts TheSamba Early911sRegistry 912bbs Rennlist

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#8 Post by James Davies »

Original pre-A and T1 door keys look like this, front and back. And yes, they have the 4-digit key code stamped on them.
Attachments
IMG_4617 copy.jpg
IMG_4618 copy.jpg

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#9 Post by James Davies »

Here's the B-code Bosch ignition lock keys used up through mid-1954. Round and simple.

The Bosch C-code ignition lock keys used from mid-1954 were essentially the same, but had a shape like the front hood lock key in the diagrams above. See below for the Börkey blank for this.

Again, Börkey and other makers have blanks for all these in the correct shape. Rick is expert on this. =)
Attachments
0547.gif
0547.gif (4.45 KiB) Viewed 2087 times
s-l1600-6.jpg

Steve Douglas
356 Fan

#10 Post by Steve Douglas »

The key in question that came with the A Coupe might have been for a hood lock, as when I bought it the hood cable was missing the knob and had to be pulled with pliers. I know that the Cabs and Speedsters came with locking handles and guessing that coupes could be ordered that way, although nothing is shown on the kardex. Maybe one was installed later???

Daniel Roman
356 Fan

#11 Post by Daniel Roman »

Steve Douglas wrote:The key in question that came with the A Coupe might have been for a hood lock, as when I bought it the hood cable was missing the knob and had to be pulled with pliers. I know that the Cabs and Speedsters came with locking handles and guessing that coupes could be ordered that way, although nothing is shown on the kardex. Maybe one was installed later???
Is there a code stamped on the back of the key?
DRROCKETDAN@gmail.com

Daniel Roman
356 Fan

#12 Post by Daniel Roman »

Okay, so we are bumping the thread. We are still looking for the elusive Pre-A / A key chart. It is on a "yellow" paper stock and includes all of the 356 key blanks. Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you.
DRROCKETDAN@gmail.com

Daniel Roman
356 Fan

#13 Post by Daniel Roman »

bump
DRROCKETDAN@gmail.com