What Zenith Air Cleaners for a ‘65 C?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Greg Carter
356 Fan

What Zenith Air Cleaners for a ‘65 C?

#1 Post by Greg Carter »

I’m curious what Zenith air cleaners for a US spec ‘65 C Coupe are correct with regard to crank case breather inlet. I know the right air cleaner should have an attachment for a breather hose off the generator/ oil filler stand but what about the left? I was looking at a set of air cleaners in the for sale section advertised for a C coupe and both left and right air cleaners have a breather pick up. What is correct? Where does the hose on the left air cleaner come from if it’s supposrd to also have an inlet?

Greg

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

Re: What Zenith Air Cleaners for a ‘65 C?

#2 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Greg,

The left one is plugged and the breather pickup faces towards the front of the car since they are symmetrical. I have also seen some cars with an earlier short necked version on the left.
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1967 Karmann Ghia Convertible
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Greg Carter
356 Fan

#3 Post by Greg Carter »

Sebastian,

Thanks for the reply. I guess, theoretically, depending on when the car was built either long right / short left or both long air cleaners could be correct.

What breather hose would be correct? Braided cloth or the accordion type I’ve seen on SC’s?

What does the plug look like for the left air cleaner breather inlet?

Thanks again.

Greg

Steven Clarke
356 Fan

#4 Post by Steven Clarke »

Greg,

My '65 C coupe (Oct '64 build date) has the accordion type breather hose with Norma clamps. The left air cleaner has some kind of internal plug that fits flush with the end of the tube. It is painted black so I don't know what it is made of, maybe cork or plastic.

Hopes this helps,
Steve

'65 C
'73 911

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#5 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Greg,

For reference, both of my cars are set up exactly like Steve's. I have not spent much time looking at the plugs, but I will guess plastic. If you'd like I can take pictures tomorrow, just let me know.
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#6 Post by Ron LaDow »

Here's what I know and surmise regarding the filters and the hoses:
1) Early on in the C production, the factory used up the B cans on the left side before switching to 'both the same'
Certainty: 90+%. I have gotten too many orders for unmatched Velocity Stacks to assume it is a result of later swaps. Especially from those who 'have owned their car forever!' There is no incentive to fit an earlier can.
2) There have been three hose styles: Paper/foil, Rubber hose with braided cover, Molded plastic "accordion".
Certainty: 20% on the paper/foil. I owned two Cs which had this, one owned early enough to suggest it was original (bought in '73), another later. Not certain at all, but I had two.
Certainty: 90+% on the rubber/braided hose. Before/after paper/foil? Dunno. Oh, but the hose clamps had a fabric wrap under the clamp and on top of the braid which was *really* hard to clean to make it look 'factory'.
Certainty: 100% on the molded plastic accordion hose for *LATE* Cs. I'm saying 1/64 build date to start.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Greg Carter
356 Fan

#7 Post by Greg Carter »

Gents,

Thanks for the replies and the info. I’m just researching what would be correct for my car when I go looking for air cleaners. Right now my car has Webers on it but I’d like to put Zeniths on it down the road. I’m on the lookout for the correct air cleaners to go with them.

Greg

Richard Milstead
356 Fan

#8 Post by Richard Milstead »

Guys,
Like many things, stand at the corner and the "bus" comes around again!

The topic of the breather hose was "beaten to death" a few years ago. Please see the following:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=25396

The "smooth braided" type of hose was used at least through the middle of 1964 and appears in many factory pictures. I still have an NOS example in my collection. The ribbed plastic types are much better but not having the right type on your car probably will cost you "big" points at your next Concours if that makes a difference to you.

Dick Milstead
Dick Milstead

Vic Zeller
356 Fan

#9 Post by Vic Zeller »

Hi Guys from chilly Westport MA. I am collecting parts for an SC and C engine I hope to sell before Hershey time. In a large box of C Knecht air filters I have found an unusual pair of Knecht with the front to back air horns placed close to the fan housing instead of closer to the side compartment walls .Look carefully.... No, you cannot switch them L to R because the housing will hit the fan shroud . That is why the down pipe is off center about an inch. No one I have asked knows about them. The date on the L is 11/62 and on the R is 4/64 so they have been made in various years .
Who knows why and when ? If they are worth 500 as a rare option let me know .
Also the part number on the tops are LP 418/1 on the left and LP 418/2 on the right, but what good is that since the clip- on tops are interchangeable .
I have had these for years and never noticed the difference till I put them on a set of Zeniths.
Have a Good Day, Bye from Vic
Attachments
P1030672.JPG
P1030678.JPG
P1030675.JPG

Wil Mittelbach
356 Fan

#10 Post by Wil Mittelbach »

Greg Carter wrote:I’m curious what Zenith air cleaners for a US spec ‘65 C Coupe are correct with regard to crank case breather inlet. I know the right air cleaner should have an attachment for a breather hose off the generator/ oil filler stand but what about the left? I was looking at a set of air cleaners in the for sale section advertised for a C coupe and both left and right air cleaners have a breather pick up. What is correct? Where does the hose on the left air cleaner come from if it’s supposrd to also have an inlet? Greg
Perhaps helpful:
A photo of my`65C cab's engine with original Zenith carb air cleaners, showing the crankcase breather hose and it's connections.
The left air cleaner's hose inlet port is plugged.
-Wil
Attachments
DSCN0675.JPG

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#11 Post by Ron LaDow »

Vic Zeller wrote:Hi Guys from chilly Westport MA.
Have you fitted those top an engine and made sure the throttle linkage is not in the way?
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#12 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Isn't the can part of the air cleaner able to rotate on the flat base piece?? Try it.

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#13 Post by David Jones »

I know of at least one 65C that has no connection to the Zenith air cleaners but does have a draught tube that goes from the oil filler reservoir down through the sheet metal that the dipstick passes through and out to atmosphere that way. As far as I and the owner know the car is very original.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#14 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

David Jones wrote:I know of at least one 65C that has no connection to the Zenith air cleaners but does have a draught tube that goes from the oil filler reservoir down through the sheet metal that the dipstick passes through and out to atmosphere that way. As far as I and the owner know the car is very original.
I did that same thing to my coupe when it had Weber carbs. After Vic convinced me of the virtues of using correct Zeniths (Thanks Vic!) I switched to the stock setup.

I have never seen an original car set up like this, is it possible it was a modification early in its life?
Last edited by Sebastian Gaeta on Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#15 Post by Dick Weiss »

Hi David,

As the C/SC series had the emission controlled engines introduced, the closed ventilation system required 'No Fumes', so the right carb was to receive them from case-breathing. Years ago, there was a member who connected the left carb to receive the fumes, too.

Most likely, the venting tube was intrduced by the original(?) owner like we "elderlies" used to do by venting the fumes downward like the 'flip-top" filler/breather did on the ealier engines. Thusly, the taller air filters were plugged, or the shorter filters exchanged(?).
Also, the dipstick plate would be replaced unless there was another hole added to acommodate a 'down hose'. A photo would be nice.

All the best,
Dick