Porsche 356 as a daily driver

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Rhys and Karisa Haydon
Registry Trustee

Re: Porsche 356 as a daily driver

#31 Post by Rhys and Karisa Haydon »

Alright, my 2 cents.

I daily drive a 64 Coupe here in Seattle. Rain or shine, and it treats me well. I have a good mechanic that keeps all the systems in check, but when driven daily these cars are happiest. Previous responders said some things I would echo;
You will not be seen by everyone, so make sure your horn and lights work
Street parking can be a nail biting experience, especially for parallel parking situations where people just plain bump park in to you.
Otherwise they are great. I also have a 1980 SC that I drove as a daily for a few years and really enjoyed that car as well. I would not say it's any more comfortable, but would be safer in an accident, heaven forbid.

I drive the 356 because it makes me happy every time I get in to it!
1956 Coupe "Marilyn"
1964 Coupe "Homer"
Instagram: @therhys

Charles H Jacobus
356 Fan

#32 Post by Charles H Jacobus »

Jon Schmid wrote:
Charles H Jacobus wrote:It's a little like riding a motorcycle, you need to be a very defensive driver and avoid putting yourself in dangerous positions (like at a stop light in front of a truck). :) I get out of the city as fast as I can and have a good time in the country.

Chuck
Chuck, help me out here. What choice did I have in that situation? It isn't like I cut him off to get in front of him. 100% the opposite.
Anyway, when licensed truckers can (mess) up, I agree, the so-called "average" drivers with all their electronic distractions are even more of a menace. :(
Sorry Jon, wasn't relating to your story in particular, just drivers not being aware of small object and having to do everything possible to look out for them defensively. That said, sometimes there is just nothing you can do. I'm sorry you experienced that and I'm glad at least you came out of it okay. It must have been a frightening experience.

Chuck
Current:
2012 Silver 991
1995 Midnight blue 993
1965 Red 356C

Past:
Fond memories of 14 others (including a '63 Normal and a 61 S90) :)

Steve Douglas
356 Fan

#33 Post by Steve Douglas »

When I bought my A coupe it was my only car, and driving it in the suburbia of SF East Bay wasn't all that bad, but then that was in 1968. The next year I got a real job in San Francisco, requiring a commute, which was when I decided to buy a 2nd car, a '56 Chevy truck, to drive to work on days when I didn't take the bus. Since then I have considered the 356 as a recreational only driver, I've put about 230,000 miles on the '59 in the past 50 years, but especially nowadays I feel that I need to pick the routes and times when driving it feels to be less life threatening.
I liked and agree with the Talk List comments about the current drivers; and their lack of driving ability and most importantly the lack of awareness of others on the road create that "adventures in driving" daily. Distracted and overly insulated from the art of driving, many just don't even see a small car. I have LED rear lights and try and watch the cars behind as much as the ones in front when braking, but have had some close calls from those failing to realize that the tiny car in front is actually stopping.
Another factor is that old cars require a lot fiddling, servicing and care, of which on a daily driver could consume several evening a month to ensure that the car will make it to work the next day. There are very few shops who will actually work on a 356 in a timely fashion, making the owner the one who does all of the "adjustments". In some areas of the country driving a 356 daily wouldn't be that bad, except for the hot and cold, snow and ice, but anything small, old and valuable isn't practical to drive daily in the "real world".
With that in mind buy a big SUV or PU truck for a daily driver and use the 356 when and where it is practical and safe.

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#34 Post by Jon Schmid »

Charles H Jacobus wrote:
Jon Schmid wrote:
Charles H Jacobus wrote:It's a little like riding a motorcycle, you need to be a very defensive driver and avoid putting yourself in dangerous positions (like at a stop light in front of a truck). :) I get out of the city as fast as I can and have a good time in the country.

Chuck
Chuck, help me out here. What choice did I have in that situation? It isn't like I cut him off to get in front of him. 100% the opposite.
Anyway, when licensed truckers can (mess) up, I agree, the so-called "average" drivers with all their electronic distractions are even more of a menace. :(
Sorry Jon, wasn't relating to your story in particular, just drivers not being aware of small object and having to do everything possible to look out for them defensively. That said, sometimes there is just nothing you can do. I'm sorry you experienced that and I'm glad at least you came out of it okay. It must have been a frightening experience.

Chuck
Thanks, Chuck. Let's just say it was one of those less than once in a lifetime experiences. :wink:

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#35 Post by Dave Erickson »

My 64SC used to be my daily driver, and will be again once it is back on the road. However, I have a different perspective on this and wanted to share it. I also drive a van with twin turbos and a Subaru with a W/C flat 6. Both outperform the little 356. But I cannot work on either of them; if something goes wrong the car goes into the dealer, and I am not happy with the level of work done by the dealer. With the 356, there is nothing I cannot diagnose and fix, I have lots of spare parts, and the 356 lives on a 4-post lift so I am not limited by the need to get under the car to fix things. So if you want it to be a daily driver, you really need to have a love for working on cars and keeping them in top shape, as well as whatever it takes to make the work easy.

Dave

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#36 Post by Dan Epperly »

DaveErickson wrote:My 64SC used to be my daily driver, and will be again once it is back on the road. However, I have a different perspective on this and wanted to share it. I also drive a van with twin turbos and a Subaru with a W/C flat 6. Both outperform the little 356. But I cannot work on either of them; if something goes wrong the car goes into the dealer, and I am not happy with the level of work done by the dealer. With the 356, there is nothing I cannot diagnose and fix, I have lots of spare parts, and the 356 lives on a 4-post lift so I am not limited by the need to get under the car to fix things. So if you want it to be a daily driver, you really need to have a love for working on cars and keeping them in top shape, as well as whatever it takes to make the work easy.

Dave
Or have deep pockets and have your own on site personal Porsche mechanic.