New Abarth style muffler

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
JERRY LANDES
356 Fan

New Abarth style muffler

#1 Post by JERRY LANDES »

Has anyone tried one of the new SS mufflers from GDP?
I'm ready to buy one since my last experience with Dansk was not great.

Jerry Landes

Kevin Wills
356 Fan

Re: New Abarth style muffler

#2 Post by Kevin Wills »

Jerry, I have not tried or even heard of it, but you have me curious. A quick search using the Google machine was unable to find this for me. Do have a link or any other information?

John Weyand
356 Fan

#3 Post by John Weyand »

It's here: http://porsche356registry.org/classifieds/2-356-parts-accessories/13837-abarth-muffler-100-stainless.html
John W
'64 "C" coupe

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jim Nelson »

Matthew Devereux
356 Fan

#5 Post by Matthew Devereux »

I saw that the other day. The company is in Calgary which is 3 hrs south of me. I go there every other week. Maybe I'll have a look next time I'm down there.
Matthew Devereux
'00 Boxster S
'58 356A coupe

Steve Harrison
356 Fan

#6 Post by Steve Harrison »

Thus goes,..if you can build a stainless steel 356 muffler that will last a lifetime, and it actually fits the car without modification, all for about the same price as the others available,...the world will beat a path to your door.

I saw that ad also and thought it of interest. Can't wait for a real world review from someone who has bought and installed.

Drew Ogden
356 Fan

#7 Post by Drew Ogden »

I will certainly vouch for the seller. He is known in the early VW bus scene and does fabulous rust repair and fabrication. Stand up guy who will back what he sells (no affiliation).

Mark Pribanic
356 Fan
Tag: Drive 'Em!

#8 Post by Mark Pribanic »

Drew Ogden wrote:I will certainly vouch for the seller. He is known in the early VW bus scene and does fabulous rust repair and fabrication. Stand up guy who will back what he sells (no affiliation).

X2^
Mark Pribanic
Registry# 13617
Florida Owners Group Trustee - 2008-2010
Neptune Beach, Florida USA
Instagram: Mark.Pribanic

Rob Green
356 Fan

#9 Post by Rob Green »

Nice looking indeed. I wonder where these are being produced. There are some very high quality stainless header/exhausts that have been coming from China (no kidding) for V.W. uses, the welds on these look very much like that. Wonder if they might also produce an exhaust that looks like the Dansk sport mufflers, but fit better and made of stainless...Boggles the mind. Also, they mention in the ad that they have been test fit to A and B cars. Wonder if they will fit C cars?
Rob

Rob Green
356 Fan

#10 Post by Rob Green »

Just an update on the 356 mufflers being made by Vintage Speed in Taiwan China. Found their web site and this is the web address for the stainless mufflers made by them:

http://store.vintagespeed.com.tw/index. ... &Itemid=80
As I mentioned their V.W mufflers are of very high quality and widely known in the Vintage V.W. scene. Price is good also. I haven't talked to anyone using these mufflers on 356's yet.
Rob

KenKing
356 Fan

#11 Post by KenKing »

Hi guys,

First, thanks for the kind words...

About the mufflers:

GDP is a newly formed company, but coming from some people with years of experience in the industry, and the same number of years dealing will ill-fitting parts. Nothing is more frustrating than working on your car on a Sunday morning and spending half your day fitting a part which should have been a 30 minute job. Our goal is to produce Premium quality parts, at realistic prices.

GDP is Gentlemen Drivers Parts.

In the short term, this muffler will also be available in Single tip, dual tip, and later in the year a 912 version.

Let me know if you have any specific questions about this muffler, or any products we will roll out this year. I'll try to be more active on here, and follow up with any inquiries.

Thanks!

Ken King

55-Continental coupe
55-Speedster

Rob Green
356 Fan

#12 Post by Rob Green »

Ken,

Nice to see this level of quality on a 356 muffler. We've been waiting. So do you (or your company) produce them yourself in Canada? What models of 356's do they fit, A, pre A, B, C,?

Cheers,
Rob
64 356 C Coupe

Steve Harrison
356 Fan

#13 Post by Steve Harrison »

Whoa Ken,..you're in the double nickle double nickle club?
A 55 coupe,..and speedster? Good on ya.
So,..it might be assumed that your newly offered muffler will fit under that low pre A rear valance?
That would be outstanding.
P.S. Post a pic or two of your Conti.... : )

Steve
55 Continental Coupe

KenKing
356 Fan

#14 Post by KenKing »

Rob Green wrote:Ken,

Nice to see this level of quality on a 356 muffler. We've been waiting. So do you (or your company) produce them yourself in Canada? What models of 356's do they fit, A, pre A, B, C,?

Cheers,
Rob
64 356 C Coupe
Thanks Rob,

The mufflers are produced in Taiwan. We work very closely with the company, and have for many years already.

I've tried to produce parts here, and it is outrageously expensive.

I've tried them on Pre-A, A, and B.

One customer reported what felt like a 10hp gain, over a Dansk stock muffler. I went for a ride in his car, and it did feel great, and sounded unreal. I tried to do a video with my Iphone, but to be honest it didn't turn out great. Too much valve-train noise. When I get the full production run here, (and the snow is melted) I'll get on taking a better video.

KenKing
356 Fan

#15 Post by KenKing »

Steve Harrison wrote:Whoa Ken,..you're in the double nickle double nickle club?
A 55 coupe,..and speedster? Good on ya.
So,..it might be assumed that your newly offered muffler will fit under that low pre A rear valance?
That would be outstanding.
P.S. Post a pic or two of your Conti.... : )

Steve
55 Continental Coupe
Hi Steve,

Yes, it should clear any Pre-a. The one we tried had the center valence impression, which allows for more exhaust clearance. I've notice that the bumper actually sits lower than that impression anyways.

I was pretty lucky, bought and restored my Continental 10 years ago, and the picked up the speedster just a few years back, but a bit before the last spike in prices. The speedster is in progress.

This is the only picture I could find on of the Conti that I had handy. From a photo shoot we did with a friend of mine last summer.

The rest of the shoot is here... http://www.philippsteinbrenner.com/... Caution, may not be safe for work.
Attachments
photo2.JPG