Hella back up lens discoloration fix?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Steve Raucher
356 Fan

Hella back up lens discoloration fix?

#1 Post by Steve Raucher »

Hey all,
My Hella shine up reverse lens has yellowed over time. Anyway to make it clear again short of buying another glass lens?
Thank you,
Steve
Attachments
IMG_1531.JPG

WilliamVaughan
356 Fan

Re: Hella back up lens discoloration fix?

#2 Post by WilliamVaughan »

You say it is glass. Glass typically does not yellow internally. Most likely the yellow is a surface film. Try individually, laundry detergent and tooth brush, mineral spirits, alcohol, acetone, methylene chloride. Most likely one of those will remove the film.

Steve Raucher
356 Fan

#3 Post by Steve Raucher »

Thanks Robert.
Now you have me guessing what it's made of glass or plastic. I know there is Hella markings on it.
Does anyone know if back in the day they were reproduced in plastic with the Hella markings?
If plastic I doubt it will clean up. Need to take things apart and see exactly what it made from.
I know Stoddard and Sierra Madre does not sell repro lens with markings or of course glass lens only.
Best,
Steve

Tom Tate
356 Fan
Tag: Boston MA

#4 Post by Tom Tate »

Steve, it is definitely glass and as said should clean up with a little work
KTF

Rusty Ferrell
356 Fan

#5 Post by Rusty Ferrell »

Steve, I purchased an amber reverse lens in the 70s from Stoddard. Always thought it looked good with the Euro tail lights. Not sure if I kept it when I sold the car.
Rusty

Tom Tate
356 Fan
Tag: Boston MA

#6 Post by Tom Tate »

Steve, I purchased an amber reverse lens in the 70s from Stoddard. Always thought it looked good with the Euro tail lights. Not sure if I kept it when I sold the car.

I have a red one that I was going to install and use as a third brake light but have never gotten around to it. I suppose that Hella made a lot of different versions but I believe they are all glass.

Steve Raucher
356 Fan

#7 Post by Steve Raucher »

Hi all,
That must be the reason. It's an amber lens bought way back in the day. Yes it looks good with the European tail lights. Tried to clean it but still amber. Just thought the clear lens would be more correct, you rarely see this amber lens anymore.
KTF,
Steve