Leaking Oil Pump cover

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Wes Bender
356 Fan

Re: Leaking Oil Pump cover

#31 Post by Wes Bender »

My electric tach C has the pins and, by some really lucky coincidence, the holes in the PreMat filter fit the pins perfectly.

(edited to remove incorrect pin placement........ brain fart.)
Last edited by Wes Bender on Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Alan Winer
356 Fan

#32 Post by Alan Winer »

My locator pins on my 64 C Coupe with electric tach are in the oil pump cover, with the mating holes being in the third piece. I needed to remove the pins that came installed in the Precision Matters Full Flow Oil Filter Adapter. The gears would bind if the pins mated in the holes. I do not know why this measurement is not consistant.
Alan

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#33 Post by Vic Skirmants »

I have ALWAYS found the pins to be in the cover. I think they were installed after the gears were mated up. As Alan mentioned, the gears bound up if things don't line up. If I have to change the cover on a stock rebuild, I usually just remove the pins and fit the cover for easiest rotation of the gears. Obviously, this has to be done with the cover off the engine.

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#34 Post by Dick Weiss »

The only way to ensure the pump cover does not bind the shafts & gears is to pre-assemble the pump to the 3rd piece before installing it to the main case; You should be able to turn the drive shaft w/your fingers--after setting the gear/shaft endplay. I've made several thin paper gaskets from .004" shopping bag material and added a light wipe of non-hardening Permatex sealant on both side, assemble the cover and still use the pins--they're always in the cover and the spring washers should set them flush during nut-tightening.
During snugging up the nuts, you may need a little "bumping" w/a plastic hammer to keep the finger-turning process during final tightening.

BTW, it was mentioned that the cover was leaking from above after engine shutdown(?), It's possible that the cover has a crack--I have 1 of those, too!

Glen Getchell
356 Fan

#35 Post by Glen Getchell »

Ok, I looked at this factory oil cover a little closer and there are pins. However, the pins do no protrude and are flush to the back of the cover (virtually invisible). The only place you can see them is in the recess on the outer side where the nuts screw on. I don't know which engine this cover came off of, but I know that there was no way the pins were doing anything when it was installed. You can't even find them while using a razor blade to scrape the gasket off. Now with that said, I still have no memory of there being pins on Vic's bypass pump cover (maybe Vic can chime in on that).

As far as the leak. It started at the bottom and only moved to the top after I sealed the bottom and sides. And the leak only started immediately after the engine was turned "off" and only last a couple of minutes (except when I cinched the bolts up one time to try to stop it which caused it to leak all the time). I find it very strange that it would not leak while in operation, but after shut down, and just for a few moments. But I also had a hand gun literally blow up in my hand Monday too (ever hit your self with a sledge hammer?). So I'm used of this kind of weird crap.

Oh, yea, remember the leak is with Vic's cover (which I have been using for over a decade) and not a factory cover. And quite honestly I would bet you, that you could drop that sucker from 30K feet and it would not crack. So I really do not believe it has anything to do with the cover it self.

Glen
64Cx2