STOLEN!

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

STOLEN!

#1 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Just saw a post on Facebook from P R Services in England, about a bunch of stolen 356 transmissions and cases; two 914/6 transes, and some garden machinery. Stolen the night of Jan 2-3. Pretty big list, won't try to post it here. Hope they are not at the scrap dealer!

Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

Re: STOLEN!

#2 Post by Neil Bardsley »

Vic Skirmants wrote:Just saw a post on Facebook from P R Services in England, about a bunch of stolen 356 transmissions and cases; two 914/6 transes, and some garden machinery. Stolen the night of Jan 2-3. Pretty big list, won't try to post it here. Hope they are not at the scrap dealer!
Sorry already posted earlier

viewtopic.php?f=6&p=302378#p302378

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#3 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Thanks, Neil. I'll just leave this in the Main Discussion as well. Not everybody reads Off Topic regularly.

Ashley James
356 Fan

#4 Post by Ashley James »

Very sad story and lovely kind people, so a real shame.

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#5 Post by Joris Koning »

Ashley James wrote:Very sad story and lovely kind people, so a real shame.
Indeed, Mike and Paul are some of the nicest people you will come across in this hobby. Real shame
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#6 Post by David Jones »

Hopefully insurance will cover the loss. I would think it is extremely likely that everything was very quickly on it's way across the channel where I am sure there are numerous places where the goods can have serial numbers changed and be disposed off easily. Maybe local CCTV will identify the perps.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

John Clarke
356 Fan

#7 Post by John Clarke »

Absolute scumbags!
Here in the UK, some years ago the law was changed so that you couldn't sell scrap metal for cash .
Also having to produce identity documents to complete a sale of any items also with a description of the transaction. This has made it harder for them to move stolen items on. These Porsche cases and boxes are worth far more to all of us than their scrap metal value, but they don't care about that. The ride on mowers and garden equipment will shortly be listed on EBay. Be your own policeman is the best option! If you can be bothered ! The police over here are useless & not interested & only give you a crime number to be able to make an insurance claim ! These parts will not be sold overseas as Porsche spares, but simply melted down, it's just metal to them, it's very sad. We have been victims of these 'pikeys', having our out buildings plundered. I know Mike and Paul Smith well and we know how they feel.
Regards
Jay.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#8 Post by Adam Wright »

Years ago we pulled two cars out of a toxic mill, the old guy next door said he had some Porsche stuff too. He pulled out a cam that was in two pieces and said, "The engine had 4 of these."
He then proceeded to pull out the manual, some cam lobes, and other pieces. I asked him where the rest was, he said he was broken into a month earlier and all the cases and heads were taken for the aluminum. So that fridge you bought last year was made from a 4-cam. I hate stories like this where the stuff is just gone.
I did buy a whole pallet of stuff a couple of years ago, 2 engines and three gearboxes, one of which was from a 52. A guy picked them up at the scrap place and called the "PORCH" guy, meaning me. So at least those got saved.
But this story from the UK is just maddening.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Steve Harrison
356 Fan

#9 Post by Steve Harrison »

Talk about getting screwed by a scrapper,...how about this tale of woe...

When Dad got sick several years ago and had to go into a home we decided to clean out the house and rent it for a year till we figured out what we were going to do. About twenty years earlier I had a friend who lost his “storage” place (a field really,..out in the West Virginia countryside) for his spares,...but he was into a really oddball car make called a D.B.,..or Deutsch Bonnett.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DB_HBR_5

There was a complete transaxle, doors, rims (that looked a lot like Pre A 16’s) and a whole bunch of other irreplaceable stuff. Well,...my friend died about ten years later and the stuff was basically just sitting idle in my locked detached garage along with a bunch of other junk. I hadn’t given any of it a thought for years. By then I lived 700 miles away as did my sisters etc.

We had a rental management service handle the local rental. The renters however must’ve seen their opportunity because when they got two months behind on the rent I had the rental service people threaten them with eviction. Somehow they magically came up with the money.

Yup,...these bozo’s paid me with the money they got from scrapping everything they could find in my garage,...including the D.B. parts, a cool old Fairbanks/Morse aircraft engine, and all the copper wiring they could strip.

They eventually got evicted a few months later. The house was trashed inside and out,..and we had to pay to haul off all the junk they left. We sold it ASAP.

Rent a house out?...Never Again !!