How to remove flaps from heater box.

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Dave Whittick
356 Fan

How to remove flaps from heater box.

#1 Post by Dave Whittick »

Can anybody offer suggestions to remove the flaps from my heater boxes for my C?

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

Re: How to remove flaps from heater box.

#2 Post by Dick Weiss »

For what reason, Dave? The metal flaps can be reshaped, or the rubber pieces on the shut-off valve(s)?
Neither wouldn't need disassembly.

Dick

Dave Whittick
356 Fan

#3 Post by Dave Whittick »

I'd like to powder coat the tin and I'm not sure that I can do a thorough job with the flaps in place. I'm also a little worried about melting the rubber seal.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#4 Post by Mike Wilson »

Dave: I've had several sets powder-coated with the flaps intact with no problems. Of course, the shop I use, AFCO in Gardena, CA., is very familiar with 356 parts and knows the correct colors to use.

I looked at a flapper box today. It looks like the pins are staked or brazed to the sides of the box so if you remove them and have the parts powder-coated, you have to replace the pins and reattach them somehow which would be visible against the new powder-coat.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Dave Whittick
356 Fan

#5 Post by Dave Whittick »

Mike Wilson wrote:Dave: I've had several sets powder-coated with the flaps intact with no problems. Of course, the shop I use, AFCO in Gardena, CA., is very familiar with 356 parts and knows the correct colors to use.

I looked at a flapper box today. It looks like the pins are staked or brazed to the sides of the box so if you remove them and have the parts powder-coated, you have to replace the pins and reattach them somehow which would be visible against the new powder-coat.

Mike
Thanks for the reply. How about the rubber on the flapper? Any issues after coating. Afraid it might melt.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#6 Post by Mike Wilson »

The rubber hasn't melted but it does become hard. I haven't found powder-coating to prevent the function of the flapper boxes.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#7 Post by Ron LaDow »

I could have been BS'd, since there was no way for me to check, but I was told by the guy who did C engine tin some time back that there was a 'low temp' coating. I bought the story and the service and had no problem with the rubber or synthetic on the valve which leads forward.
Since then, I've used another supplier who is better at reading a calendar and who didn't blink when I requested the 'low-temp' stuff on the air channels, and have had no problems.
If it were a problem, there would be thousands of cars/engines suffering from it by now.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

GregVandenbussche
356 Fan

#8 Post by GregVandenbussche »

Black epoxy paint works pretty well too :)
Bt5 Super - used to be fjord green, was painted brass, then brown... sadness

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#9 Post by Dick Weiss »

Much simpler & less costly to spray them (after cleaning, re-shapeing, re-liping if needed, and proper action) w/'rattle can' Semi-Gloss Black--Krylon enamel or Hi-temp. I've had success w/this over 50+ years--using a Gloss Black would be easier to clean off as they're outa sight--unless full concoursing.