Driving Symptoms - Solex 40 PII-4 carbs

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Michael Boyd
356 Fan

Driving Symptoms - Solex 40 PII-4 carbs

#1 Post by Michael Boyd »

I have a 912 engine with rebuilt Solex 40 PII-4 carbs. From startup and after warming up, the engine idles quite well and as I put the car in motion and accelerate from a stationary position I often get a sneeze or pop (backfire). The car runs well until I find myself stopping for traffic signals when the car sometimes stalls as I decelerate before I get stopped or while stuck in traffic or waiting for a green light. As long as I get the transmission into neutral and keep the revs up, I can usually prevent it from stalling. I'm familiar with the worn throttle shaft and butterflies issues and the often referenced "difficulty with idle". Are my symptoms as described above, a driving example of worn throttle shaft/butterflies or do I have a some other problem which needs to be corrected? I would be grateful for the wisdom of the membership. I've told my mechanic that I don't believe he can "adjust" his way out of this problem.
Mike

Mike Horton
356 Fan

Re: Driving Symptoms - Solex 40 PII-4 carbs

#2 Post by Mike Horton »

Solid shaft (-'67), or split shaft (post '67 MY), and are you running 10% ethanol? Have you set the accelerator pump volumes?
Mike

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#3 Post by David Jones »

Two things that can be tried.. Check the ignition timing, if that is at least at 32 degrees BTDC and preferably 35 +/- 2 degrees then open up the mixture screws a half turn. It may be running a tad lean on idle. If that does not work then you just have to bite the bullet and do a full tune up. If the carbs are worn to the point of air leaking by the butterflies then usually you cannot get a good idle. You could also try a different mechanic. Where are you located that would help a lot on directing you to good help.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Mike Horton
356 Fan

#4 Post by Mike Horton »

"It may be running a tad lean on idle."

...where I was heading, David... the split shafts ran 55 idle fuel jets, and on the ethanol, were lean (smog tune in U.S. for '68 & '69)... I installed the solid shaft 57.5 idle jets, up here at 3300', and made progress...
Mike

Michael Boyd
356 Fan

#5 Post by Michael Boyd »

Thanks Mike and David! I am running 10% ethanol and I have split-shaft Solexes. At the moment I'm not certain how the timing is set given some tuning by my mechanic. I also don't know what the jets sizes are at the moment. Carbs were rebuilt by a previous Porsche mechanic. Today after posting, my mechanic identified two spark plug wires with corroded connectors. After repairing, the engine ran much better and on a short test run, there was popping on acceleration still from stopped position but it never stalled on the test run. I can feel some play in the throttle shaft and I'm certain it's time to have the throttles and butterflies, etc done. Tomorrow I will order new set of wires, cap, rotor and plugs and try to get a longer test drive. I'm in Sarasota, Florida. Thanks again!

Curt Dansby
356 Fan

#6 Post by Curt Dansby »

Hi Michael
When you say re-built you mean kit- gaskets, needle valve etc- not sent to Bruce Smith or Carb Rescue for "Re-Hab"?

Curt

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#7 Post by Martin Benade »

Your timing might be a bit retarded from where it should be, that makes popping and sneezing more likely. Generally worn throttle bores cause a high idle if everything else is OK, because you cannot control the air leaking past the throttle plates.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Michael Boyd
356 Fan

#8 Post by Michael Boyd »

Martin, I will check the timing tomorrow and try a change to see if it addresses the popping and sneezing. Thanks for the info and suggestion.
Mike

Michael Boyd
356 Fan

#9 Post by Michael Boyd »

Curt, The carbs have just had the standard kit and I have now been in touch with Bruce to get the needed machining done. I think the discovery of the two bad plug wires may have corrected the stalling aspect of the overall problem and I do more traffic-intense test driving to confirm. Thanks...
Mike