Casting for a new car show on the Discovery Channel

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Mike Goldberg
356 Fan

Casting for a new car show on the Discovery Channel

#1 Post by Mike Goldberg »

My good friend is casting for a new car show on the Discovery Channel. Think Antiques Roadshow for cars. You can apply here.

Steve Raucher
356 Fan

Re: Casting for a new car show on the Discovery Channel

#2 Post by Steve Raucher »

Hey Mike,
Thanks for this info. I've watched so many car shows on cable over the years perhaps its my turn to represent.
I interviewed with these people and maybe in the next few weeks car and myself will go to L.A. and get our ten minutes of fame.
Many years ago when dad had car in Chico,CA a local TV channel came out and interviewed him and the car for a car type program.
It's like the movie Groundhog Day for me it all comes full circle. Stay tuned and have a happy 2018.
Steve

Jim Alton
356 Fan

#3 Post by Jim Alton »

What's this:

*****THIS IS VITAL***** PLEASE DO NOT CLEAN YOUR CAR IN ANY WAY – WE WANT TO SEE IT AS IT IS NOW, IN ITS NATURAL ENVIRONMENT, AND NOT GIVEN ANY SPECIAL TREATMENT.

Are they not interested in people who take care of their cars?

Jim Alton
Los Angeles County, CA
1958 Porsche 356A Cabriolet
1965 Porsche 911 Coupé
1966 Volkswagen Type 2
2003 Porsche 986 Boxster

Steve Raucher
356 Fan

#4 Post by Steve Raucher »

Sounds like this new show wants me and my car for taping of the second episode in Los Angeles.
This car was stolen once and we got it back. I'm sure these guys are legitimate, but the thought of waving it good by on a flat bed still gives me the Willy's.
Wondering what special due diligence I should do in advance of this car car leaving my sight.
Regards,
Steve

Jim Alton
356 Fan

#5 Post by Jim Alton »

steve raucher wrote:Sounds like this new show wants me and my car for taping of the second episode in Los Angeles.
This car was stolen once and we got it back. I'm sure these guys are legitimate, but the thought of waving it good by on a flat bed still gives me the Willy's.
Wondering what special due diligence I should do in advance of this car car leaving my sight.
Regards,
Steve
I would hope it’s not a flatbed but rather enclosed transport.

Definitely verify these folks are part of The Discovery Channel and get written agreements on what responsibility they take and an agreed value in case the worst happens.
Last edited by Jim Alton on Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim Alton
Los Angeles County, CA
1958 Porsche 356A Cabriolet
1965 Porsche 911 Coupé
1966 Volkswagen Type 2
2003 Porsche 986 Boxster

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#6 Post by Ron LaDow »

Jim Alton wrote: I would hope it’s not a flatbed but rather enclosed transport.
Definitely verify these folks are part of The Discovery Channel and get written agreements on what responsability they take and an agreed value in case the worst happens.
I haven't looked, but this sounds like they want to shoot at your location, with you handling the car. I'd have not problem with that.
I've had requests for 'use' of three of my cars in ads over the years, with the 'renter' handling the car in some remote location. In discussing it with my insurance guy, we came up with a simple liability arrangement:
The 'borrower' of the car transfers money equaling the total value of the car to my account. If it is returned with no damage, I refund the money, minus the agreed rental fees.
If there is damage, I return the amount left after direct and indirect costs of repair.
Strangely, no one has agreed to this, so my cars do not appear in any ads. And I don't have the aggravation of fixing one of them and trying to recover the costs.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#7 Post by Bruce Smith »

If they tell you that they need to car the car somewhere without you, it sounds like a show stopper. Even if the show is legit, why would you trust that they'd be taking good care of it? Ron's on the right track. Get them to invest in an insurance policy before anything.
Bruce Smith

Erik Thomas
356 Fan

#8 Post by Erik Thomas »

I know a guy who places cars in movies. In my case, in the New England area. Cars used in films are often abused. They are required to be handled by Union workers, who are often not "old car people" The directors often want to paint matting agent on the car to minimise glare. My analysis is that this is 100% upside for them, and 100% downside for me. No way I would ever release any of my cars under the circumstances they demand. And for very low daily rentals, I might add. The perpetrators of this sort of thing pander to your ego, your desire for the 15 minutes of fame. Pass.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#9 Post by Adam Wright »

You might want to consult with John Knight down in Atlanta, he lends his car for the Vampire Diaries show. I know there have been some issues but they've taken care of it. Like one time the star of the show flat spotted the tires by slamming the brakes, he got a new set of tires.

Here is his car next to mine at the ECH and on the show.
Attachments
vamp356.jpeg
vamp356.jpeg (50.6 KiB) Viewed 1755 times
judgeECH.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Richard Shilling
356 Fan
Tag: Ex 356 Mechanic

#10 Post by Richard Shilling »

In 1965 I bought a 1965 BMW 1800 sedan that had been used in the movie "Torn Curtain". As BMW was unknown in the USA at that time it masqueraded as an East German car. That it had been in a movie supposedly made it more valuable, plus, it had been "professionally cleaned" which was to assure everyone that the duller that had been sprayed on the car had been completely removed. After I bought it and looked closely, there was remnants of the duller all over the car, and it took me a good day of work to get rid of it all. I like Ron's idea of a cash deposit, but they'll never do it.
Richard Shilling
1965 356C dolphingrey 

Steve Raucher
356 Fan

#11 Post by Steve Raucher »

So far Discovery has 96 entrants in place for the many shows they will be taping mid Feb. - mid March 2018.
They will provide insurance and all expenses paid to Los Angeles.
Also a professional appraisal will be provided. I had an appraisal done a couple years back but it make me wonder how to present this Speedster and I was looking for opinions from Registry members.
I have a black Fibersteel Hardtop which looks great. Should I present it on the car or go without it?
Go with the fiberglass racing tonneau or with out?
Thank you,
Steve
Attachments
IMG_0493.JPG
IMG_0446.JPG
IMG_0435.JPG

Steve Raucher
356 Fan

#12 Post by Steve Raucher »

Well they led me on to believe they wanted to use my story and car on episode two, then pulled the plug for some unknown reason.
Said if they get picked up for a second season perhaps they would use me...their loss.
Keep driving them!
Steve

chris romney
356 Fan

#13 Post by chris romney »

You're probably lucky they decided not to use your car. I'd never let the car out of my sight if I were you. If you were to do it, I'd insist they buy a Hagerty policy at the upper end of the value range. They generally thrash movie/tv show cars. Just take a look at the Uma Thurman Karmann Ghia crash in Kill Bill.

Eric Rowland
356 Fan

#14 Post by Eric Rowland »

With anyone in film you're negotiating 2-3 degrees separated from the director / actors / anyone else actually in the scene where your vehicle will appear. No matter what you do to mitigate issues, there will likely be issues. Will they pay you fairly for damage? Almost always. Do they really care that your car is damaged. Nope, money solves everything in that business.

James Watters
356 Fan

#15 Post by James Watters »

I was in this biz. I would never, ever, ever let a production use my car unless I was with it at all times, had my agent review the insurance policy and no one else driving it, period. Have had friends who wouldn't listen to me and rented their Porsche's to a production company. There isn't enough money for me to want to fix the issues that happened to their cars.
59A Coupe
64C Sunroof