Harold James Cleworth Speedster Poster

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Eric Benner
356 Fan

Harold James Cleworth Speedster Poster

#1 Post by Eric Benner »

I purchased this poster some time ago from a good friends estate. Its a little rough on the edges but otherwise in good condition. It is unnumbered/unsigned. Not sure on value. Question is, should I invest in having it restored and framed or just hang it up? I know Cleworth is well known for his automobile art work. Any and all suggestions welcomed.
Attachments
DSC_0178.JPG
DSC_0177.JPG
DSC_0176.JPG
DSC_0175.JPG
DSC_0174.JPG

Craig Richter
356 Fan

Re: Harold James Cleworth Speedster Poster

#2 Post by Craig Richter »

We have one of those over in Austria, nicely framed by my wife Mandy. It's beautiful! Probably helps that we have a red Speedster. Since it was a gift I have no idea on value, but I enjoy it very much and hope you will too. Happy New Year!

Jan Kolm
356 Fan

#3 Post by Jan Kolm »

This poster dates from the mid-1980s. They were all foam-backed and originally came wrapped in plastic.
Jan Kolm
356 Registry #1066
1960 1600N Coupe

John Wurner
356 Fan

#4 Post by John Wurner »

This painting was done by a Seattle artist about 35 years ago.
Anyone think its worth making in to posters?
Attachments
orig painting Speedster.JPG
orig painting Speedster.JPG (51.2 KiB) Viewed 1319 times

Jeffrey Gamble
356 Fan

#5 Post by Jeffrey Gamble »

Steve Proctor might sign it.. as the current custodian of the poster Red Speedster

Bill Waite
356 Fan

#6 Post by Bill Waite »

Jan Kolm wrote:This poster dates from the mid-1980s. They were all foam-backed and originally came wrapped in plastic.
Actually, that poster was issued without a backing. The one here has been dry-mounted on "Foamcore" (a practice common in the 80's). My wife and I actually owned an art gallery at the time and sold many of those posters, plus other Cleworth prints. This one shown in this thread is the "open" edition version (hard to say how many were produced). There was a limited edition print, printed on heavier paper and signed and numbered by the artist. If I recall properly, that was limited to about 300 prints or so.
Bill Waite
Grand Rapids, MI

1965 356C Coupe "Reversible Outlaw"

Emil Wojcik
356 Fan

#7 Post by Emil Wojcik »

John Wurner wrote:This painting was done by a Seattle artist about 35 years ago.
Anyone think its worth making in to posters?
Better check with the artist or his family before considering making reproductions. Artwork is automatically copyrighted even if it's not marked as such.
Emil Wojcik
'64 356C Euro coupe
'78 MGB
'86 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
'94 MB E420

Jan Kolm
356 Fan

#8 Post by Jan Kolm »

Bill Waite wrote:
Jan Kolm wrote:This poster dates from the mid-1980s. They were all foam-backed and originally came wrapped in plastic.
Actually, that poster was issued without a backing. The one here has been dry-mounted on "Foamcore" (a practice common in the 80's). My wife and I actually owned an art gallery at the time and sold many of those posters, plus other Cleworth prints. This one shown in this thread is the "open" edition version (hard to say how many were produced). There was a limited edition print, printed on heavier paper and signed and numbered by the artist. If I recall properly, that was limited to about 300 prints or so.
That would make sense. I located my copy, still backed with Foamcore and shrink-wrapped, along with a business card for Gallery Automania, in Rochester, MI. It is copyrighted 1981.
Jan Kolm
356 Registry #1066
1960 1600N Coupe