Brake pushrod length on a "C"

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Brake pushrod length on a "C"

#1 Post by David Jones »

I just replaced my dual brake circuit master cylinder because of ongoing brake issues, with a new 911 brake master cylinder and to my surprise I found that the depth of the insertion of the rod in the 911 master cylinder is way deeper than the dual MC and indeed the original MC. So much so that I ran out of adjustment before I reached an acceptable amount of free play. The question is now how to lengthen the rod, how does it come apart? Has anyone else done this and solved the problem. Easy enough procure a 10mm bolt to cut to length but how is the 10mm portion attached to the pushrod, is the aluminum collar heated and shrunk on? Is the pin through the collar on the 8mm portion there to hold that piece in place or is the whole rod one piece but reduced in size by machining and the collar has some unknown function. Too many questions to be answered before I start getting medieval on it.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

Re: Brake pushrod length on a "C"

#2 Post by Vic Skirmants »

When fitting a dual-circuit MC, it is necessary to shorten the pushrod. I don't know what MC you are installing, but it sounds like you have a shortened pushrod and need a standard length one?

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#3 Post by David Jones »

Correct Vic. When I bought the car it did not have a brake MC installed so I went with a new dual MC set up and it appears that it used a shortened pushrod so all was well as that was what was still attached to the brake pedal. Now I need one of the correct length and you were going to be my next call to see if you have one. If you do and I guess you probably will I will contribute to your retirement fund again to get hold of one. This one adjusted to as long as I dare with maybe 1 cm of threads in the connector is only 190 mm long. About 1 cm to short to get the correct play at the MC.

Thanks.
Attachments
20190913_201547.jpeg
20190913_201547.jpeg (57.03 KiB) Viewed 531 times
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#4 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Will send you one Monday.

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#5 Post by David Jones »

Thanks Vic, I am leaving for Georgia on Thursday and I will appreciate the extra stroke from the brake pedal when I hit the roads around Helen.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

John Hearn
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche is a two sylable word!

#6 Post by John Hearn »

David
Look forward to seeing you in Helen.
Safe trip.
John