Off to the paint shop!

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Dan Epperly
356 Fan

Re: Off to the paint shop!

#91 Post by Dan Epperly »

Looking good Adam.

Jan Kolm
356 Fan

#92 Post by Jan Kolm »

Through this entire thread, I don't recall any mention of having the International Automobile Enterprises (New Britain) floor pans in your Roadster replaced.

These were made using a large metal brake at the back of their shop and were the only replacement pans available through much of the 1970s.

They would make great wall art today.
Jan Kolm
356 Registry #1066
1960 1600N Coupe

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#93 Post by Martin Benade »

Pretty sure Adam is keeping them, because they work, and also to be scandalous.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#94 Post by Adam Wright »

Jan Kolm wrote:Through this entire thread, I don't recall any mention of having the International Automobile Enterprises (New Britain) floor pans in your Roadster replaced.

These were made using a large metal brake at the back of their shop and were the only replacement pans available through much of the 1970s.

They would make great wall art today.
This paint project has already spiraled out of control, no fault to the painter, he just kept finding stuff that would have come back to haunt me. Like the gas welded horror show that was the bottom of my doors, and was rusting, it would have popped through the new paint in a year or two, so we had to re-build the bottom of the doors, lots of old scary repairs.
So if I would have added floors on top of that a couple things would have happened.
1. It would have cost me many more thousands.
2. I wouldn't see my car for another year probably. it's already been 9 months

For the same reason I decided to change the color is the reason I decided to leave the floors, it will never be a top shelf car because I don't have the original motor, so no reason to go crazy trying to make it one. There is nothing worse than when some guys spends hundred's of thousands of dollars on a car that can't absorb it. I just want to drive it this year, hopefully for the holiday in a couple of weeks. Finger's crossed!
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Jan Kolm
356 Fan

#95 Post by Jan Kolm »

WTH, the aftermarket floors give the car character and piss off the purists when they crawl underneath to sneak a peek.

The shop (608-612 E. Main St., New Britain, CT--I'm sure it can be Googled) was located at the edge of an urban renewal area when I visited it in 1978 or 79, so I seriously doubt the building exists today. If a Wayback machine were ever built, I'd go back to retrieve the half dozen (or more) Speedster parts cars that graced the vacant lot next to the shop.
Jan Kolm
356 Registry #1066
1960 1600N Coupe

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#96 Post by Adam Wright »

Jan Kolm wrote:WTH, the aftermarket floors give the car character and piss off the purists when they crawl underneath to sneak a peek.

The shop (608-612 E. Main St., New Britain, CT--I'm sure it can be Googled) was located at the edge of an urban renewal area when I visited it in 1978 or 79, so I seriously doubt the building exists today. If a Wayback machine were ever built, I'd go back to retrieve the half dozen (or more) Speedster parts cars that graced the vacant lot next to the shop.
Looks like they merged into doing kit cars, that's what shows there now.

http://www.erareplicas.com/

There is a big building behind a house.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Jan Kolm
356 Fan

#97 Post by Jan Kolm »

Adam Wright wrote:
Jan Kolm wrote:WTH, the aftermarket floors give the car character and piss off the purists when they crawl underneath to sneak a peek.

Same phone number as in 1976 Registry ad...

Lots of infill construction over 40 years. Their main shop was the bigger of the two blue tarp-covered buildings. The big distribution warehouse now sits where their parts yard was in the '70s.
Jan Kolm
356 Registry #1066
1960 1600N Coupe

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#98 Post by Adam Wright »

Jan Kolm wrote:
Adam Wright wrote:

Lots of infill construction over 40 years. Their main shop was the bigger of the two blue tarp-covered buildings. The big distribution warehouse now sits where their parts yard was in the '70s.
I should drive over there and ask them about a warranty on the floors. Post the ad if you have it.
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Jan Kolm
356 Fan

#99 Post by Jan Kolm »

Adam Wright wrote:
Jan Kolm wrote:
Adam Wright wrote:

I should drive over there and ask them about a warranty on the floors. Post the ad if you have it.
They ran two full-page ads in early Registry magazines until 1978. Volume 3, Number 6, pp. 12-13 is easy to download from the magazine archives tab.
Jan Kolm
356 Registry #1066
1960 1600N Coupe

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#100 Post by Adam Wright »

Jan Kolm wrote:
Adam Wright wrote:
Jan Kolm wrote:
Adam Wright wrote:

They ran two full-page ads in early Registry magazines until 1978. Volume 3, Number 6, pp. 12-13 is easy to download from the magazine archives tab.
Got it.

So cool.
Attachments
flatfloorad.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Jay Wiener
356 Fan

#101 Post by Jay Wiener »

just wondering why they didn't remove the decklid and strip and paint the inside of it?

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#102 Post by Adam Wright »

Jay Wiener wrote:just wondering why they didn't remove the decklid and strip and paint the inside of it?
All in good time, he is working on the decklid and bumpers today. Full primer tomorrow, I'll check it out on Thursday and update the pics.
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#103 Post by Adam Wright »

I headed out to Mass today to check on the car. Going into final primer tomorrow and should be in paint by Monday, things are looking good that it will be done in time for the ECH.
Attachments
78.jpg
79.jpg
80.jpg
81.jpg
82.jpg
83.jpg
84.jpg
85.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com

George Hussey
356 Fan

#104 Post by George Hussey »

my t-5 roadsters are my favorites Great to see the care you are taking to bring yours back
Attachments
IMG_7216.JPG
George Hussey

Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

#105 Post by Geoff Fleming »

Adam,
Looks great! Knowing the car since 1984, I can hardly wait to see this new transfiguration. Are you keeping the same interior colors are they going to be changed also?