Off to the paint shop!

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

Re: Off to the paint shop!

#61 Post by Adam Wright »

Geoff Fleming wrote:Excellent idea to put that notice on the windshield!
About ten years ago, I stripped down an elderly friend's '64 cab...car had less than 50,000 miles. I removed all the trim, except for the windshield, since the body shop was scheduled to pick the car up on a Wednsday. I arrived Tuesday to remove the glass and found the shop had taken the car away a day early. Next thing we heard is that they broke the perfect, original windshield because they were trying to save the rubber seal! Same people also broke the replacement windshield they tried to fit.
G-
When my friend picked the car up I think he thought I was being a little obsessive. But when I told him even shops that have done Roadster windshields before sometimes break 2 before getting the third one right he kind of saw what I was talking about. At $500 a pop, that can add up fast.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

#62 Post by Geoff Fleming »

As the late, lamented Harry Pellow used to opine..."Experience is a hard teacher but a fool has no other." By the way, that 904 replica is amazing!

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#63 Post by Adam Wright »

Geoff Fleming wrote:As the late, lamented Harry Pellow used to opine..."Experience is a hard teacher but a fool has no other." By the way, that 904 replica is amazing!
Thanks Geoff, the 904 has been more of a challenge that I had envisioned. The lowering of all 4 shock towers was the most daunting thing. I was telling Chuck Beck about the project and he said you can't use a 914, he looked into it. I said I could if I moved the shock towers, but I think he thinks I'm crazy. Maybe I am...
Attachments
158.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Marc Allingham
356 Fan

#64 Post by Marc Allingham »

My '60 is in for paint after stripping the car down to bare metal and undergoing metal work to remove all ... and I mean all rust. 6006 is the correct silver color code. BUT how does it differ from prior and subsequent colors? Lighter? Darker? More sparkle?
Marc A.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#65 Post by Adam Wright »

Steady progress on the roadster. Brandon is on the home stretch with the metal work, hoping to primer the car this week.
Attachments
43.JPG
44.JPG
45.JPG
46.JPG
47.JPG
48.JPG
51.JPG
49.JPG
50.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#66 Post by Martin Benade »

Did he make the whole driver's side door jamb? All the corners look extra crisp. Are you leaving the door handle on to keep the windshield company?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

John Hearn
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche is a two sylable word!

#67 Post by John Hearn »

Adam
You still have the door handles in place.... any reason?
KTF
John

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#68 Post by Dan Epperly »

John Hearn wrote:Adam
You still have the door handles in place.... any reason?
KTF
John
Makes it easier to open and close the doors when adjusting the gaps. You have to have the striker on there so it can latch...

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#69 Post by Edwin Ek »

Seems progress is swift- less than two months so far.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#70 Post by Adam Wright »

Edwin Ek wrote:Seems progress is swift- less than two months so far.
He knows I need it back by Spring.
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#71 Post by Adam Wright »

It always when you think you're done, that these cars surprise you. On the home stretch, and the inner lip of the doors seemed a little soft, the beat goes on.
Attachments
IMG_9622.JPG
IMG_9621.JPG
IMG_9620.JPG
IMG_9619.JPG
IMG_9618.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#72 Post by Adam Wright »

I went by Brandon's place today to do a final walk around before we prime and paint. He has found a few new small surprises, but dealt with them. My favorite with these old repairs is when one bad repair means you have to do another bad repair to match the first, and on and on. Like when the doors were welded wrong, and then mudded to look right, and then the rockers had to be mudded to match. The same thing happened with the rear, someone mudded the rear cowl to get it up, because of a bad repair, and then the decklid was sunken looking, so they pinged the edges and winged them up, then mudded. It's crazy. All has been taken care of correctly this time.

I just want to know, what were you guys thinking in the 80s????
Attachments
52.JPG
53.JPG
54.JPG
55.JPG
56.JPG
58.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#73 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Adam Wright wrote:I just want to know, what were you guys thinking in the 80s????
That they were just old cars and it never occurred that they would be worth so much one day that careful and correct repairs should always be made on every car. I've never been lucky enough to take apart any Porsche or air cooled VW and not see something that just makes me laugh.
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1967 Karmann Ghia Convertible
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#74 Post by Doug McDonnell »

+1 Sebastian I bought my 1st 63S for 3K and drove it for 7 years before selling it to a German engineer who took it back to Germany.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#75 Post by Adam Wright »

Final skim coats and fitting of panels, on the home stretch!
Attachments
60.JPG
59.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com