Off to the paint shop!

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

Off to the paint shop!

#1 Post by Adam Wright »

I decided I couldn't take the red any longer. So the Roadster left today for the paint shop to go silver.
A little scary, but hopefully everything will be fine.
Of course, moving a car in the middle of winter is no fun, the Benz had to be moved and of course the battery was dead. Then the 356 took some cajoling to get going. Then there is loading a car in single digits, but it's done.
Stay tuned.
Attachments
IMG_9051.JPG
IMG_9047.JPG
IMG_9048.JPG
IMG_9049.JPG
IMG_9050.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Martin Bruechle
356 Fan

Re: Off to the paint shop!

#2 Post by Martin Bruechle »

WTG Adam. Not a fan of red also.
Thanks for the eBay spare tire belt !
Martin

Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

#3 Post by Geoff Fleming »

How dare you! Actually, an excellent choice...silver is terrific. What are you doing with the interior...keeping the tan?
When my B coupe was just out of the shop with a fresh silver exterior in 1987, we drove to Washington, DC for a weekend. As we entered the city through N.Y. Ave., a homeless guy crossed in front of us and remarked, "Damn...that must be James Bond in that car!"

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#4 Post by Adam Wright »

Geoff Fleming wrote:How dare you! Actually, an excellent choice...silver is terrific. What are you doing with the interior...keeping the tan?
When my B coupe was just out of the shop with a fresh silver exterior in 1987, we drove to Washington, DC for a weekend. As we entered the city through N.Y. Ave., a homeless guy crossed in front of us and remarked, "Damn...that must be James Bond in that car!"
I plan to keep the weathered leather look of the interior, I get lots of complements on the interior. I might go with a black top though.

I bet Miriam could of passed as a Bond Girl back in the day!
Attachments
avi-driving-1.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

#5 Post by Geoff Fleming »

Hah! I'll show her your comment...you'll be her favorite person! Ava looks pretty snappy in that pic.
All the best for the New Year!

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#6 Post by Adam Wright »

Geoff Fleming wrote:Hah! I'll show her your comment...you'll be her favorite person! Ava looks pretty snappy in that pic.
All the best for the New Year!
We updated the pic last year.
Attachments
avi356.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Steve Harrison
356 Fan

#7 Post by Steve Harrison »

Adam,,...Why silver?
Just curious.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#8 Post by Adam Wright »

Steve Harrison wrote:Adam,,...Why silver?
Just curious.
Just more classic, and I hate the red, Ferrari's should be red. I fretted about this for a long time because Ruby Red is the original color, but I finally decided the car isn't a matching example, and it's my car that I plan to keep, so I should make it the color I want. I've had it for over 10 years already, so what's 30-40 more of it in a different color.
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Jim Neil
356 Fan

#9 Post by Jim Neil »

WAIT!!! I still love black on 356's (and 3 of my 5 911's (other two silver) despite always swearing I am done with black). The '61 356 cab I let get away in 1966 was black, let it go at the last minute and waited 40 years for my first 356 (half-assed Ruby cheap respray over original Slate Gray). Once planned to repaint the 356 in Speedster Red (and almost ordered a 2010 GT3 in Speedster Red paint to sample to match). Last minute got a 2009 911 Turbo in Basalt Black instead, still have it, what an awesome car! Each to his own, but black still is awesome for 356's as well as modern Porsches.
1960 356 B Coupe
2009 911 Turbo Coupe
2016 Panamera
Gone but not forgotten: 2005 Carrera S, 2004 Targa, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 Targa, 1993 RS America, 2004 Cayenne S, 2005 Cayenne S, 2009 Cayenne S

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#10 Post by Vic Skirmants »

OK everybody. What color SHOULD Adam paint HIS car? I'm partial to Fjord Green, but a nice camo job would be more fitting.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#11 Post by C J Murray »

Vic, what about a Janis Joplin tribute paint job? If it was good enough for Janis then it should be good enough for Adam.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#12 Post by Adam Wright »

C J Murray wrote:Vic, what about a Janis Joplin tribute paint job? If it was good enough for Janis then it should be good enough for Adam.
Margaret already beat me to that idea.
Attachments
margwarren356.jpg
Margme.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Eric McKinley
356 Fan

#13 Post by Eric McKinley »

Adam,

Which silver have you decided to go with.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#14 Post by Adam Wright »

EricMcKinley wrote:Adam,

Which silver have you decided to go with.
6006, silver metallic, what would have been correct for 1960.
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#15 Post by Adam Wright »

Jim Neil wrote:WAIT!!! I still love black on 356's (and 3 of my 5 911's (other two silver) despite always swearing I am done with black). The '61 356 cab I let get away in 1966 was black, let it go at the last minute and waited 40 years for my first 356 (half-assed Ruby cheap respray over original Slate Gray). Once planned to repaint the 356 in Speedster Red (and almost ordered a 2010 GT3 in Speedster Red paint to sample to match). Last minute got a 2009 911 Turbo in Basalt Black instead, still have it, what an awesome car! Each to his own, but black still is awesome for 356's as well as modern Porsches.
Black is impossible to keep clean and you had better have a perfect body to go black. There is a reason the Factory hated doing black, like a divorce settlement, it shows all the flaws!
www.unobtanium-inc.com