Off to the paint shop!

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Eric McKinley
356 Fan

Re: Off to the paint shop!

#16 Post by Eric McKinley »

Silver looks great on a 356,

I do have silver envy occasionally.

Good choice Adam.

Steve Harrison
356 Fan

#17 Post by Steve Harrison »

You sure are right about black being a bear to keep clean. I’ve never had any car in black. In fact, the old F250 I had in white I never washed,...not once,...ever. It never really showed really.

Yea, it’s your car, and life is short,...this isn’t a dress rehearsal eh? So I’m all for getting things just the way you want them if/when you can. If silver is what you want, great. I was just curious as to why silver out of all the choices. I’ve never shot a car in silver but I’ve heard it can be somewhat tricky to lay it down without ‘ghosting’ the spray passes. But I’m sure you’re using a good guy. And I’ll bet they’re using the “cold weather” catalyst mix, haha.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#18 Post by Adam Wright »

Steve Harrison wrote:You sure are right about black being a bear to keep clean. I’ve never had any car in black. In fact, the old F250 I had in white I never washed,...not once,...ever. It never really showed really.

Yea, it’s your car, and life is short,...this isn’t a dress rehearsal eh? So I’m all for getting things just the way you want them if/when you can. If silver is what you want, great. I was just curious as to why silver out of all the choices. I’ve never shot a car in silver but I’ve heard it can be somewhat tricky to lay it down without ‘ghosting’ the spray passes. But I’m sure you’re using a good guy. And I’ll bet they’re using the “cold weather” catalyst mix, haha.
The first car I ever painted was silver metallic and I laid it on too thick, and the metal flakes merged, so it was tiger striped. It was very shiny, so it looked great moving or from 20 feet away, but up close it was a nightmare. My grandmother didn't notice and anyone looking at us was wondering why her wheelchair was shoved in the back!
Attachments
grammy2.jpg
grammy2.jpg (23.18 KiB) Viewed 2012 times
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

John Weyand
356 Fan

#19 Post by John Weyand »

The last car show I attended with my dad was in my '67 VW vert with his wheelchair tucked high in the rear seat. I recall it was on a grassy field that wasn't level and I pushed him around feeling like it might have been easier to push the VW in that soft ground. But I'd do it again this afternoon if .... (It's -9 here this morning so those thoughts vanish quickly--especially the part about the vert.)
John W
'64 "C" coupe

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#20 Post by Adam Wright »

John Weyand wrote:The last car show I attended with my dad was in my '67 VW vert with his wheelchair tucked high in the rear seat. I recall it was on a grassy field that wasn't level and I pushed him around feeling like it might have been easier to push the VW in that soft ground. But I'd do it again this afternoon if .... (It's -9 here this morning so those thoughts vanish quickly--especially the part about the vert.)
Yeah, that pic was one of the last times I hung out with Grammy before I moved to NY. I used to go by the assisted living center and pick her up and we would just drive around, she loved it. I think the other ladies were jealous, no grandsons every picked them up in sports cars!
And I'm with ya John, what I wouldn't give to be able to pick her up one more time.
Of course back when he was alive Gramps liked a ride in a cool car too.
Attachments
190SLGramps.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Jim Alton
356 Fan

#21 Post by Jim Alton »

Vic Skirmants wrote:OK everybody. What color SHOULD Adam paint HIS car? I'm partial to Fjord Green, but a nice camo job would be more fitting.
I'm partial to Aquamarine.

Somebody (maybe Erwin Komenda) said "Porsches are round cars--the lines change as the light casts shadows..." It seems to me that 356s look best in a medium (between white and black) shade with a fairly strong hue.

My 356A was originally Ruby Red with a beige interior but it's now silver with red. I'm thinking of taking it back. The problem with silver is the car's pretty much a grey blob. Silver with silver wheels... I'd like some contrast.

Jim Alton
Los Angeles County, CA
1958 Porsche 356A Cabriolet
1965 Porsche 911 Coupé
1966 Volkswagen Type 2
2003 Porsche 986 Boxster

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#22 Post by Martin Benade »

On the other hand, unless it is a really ugly color, a 356 looks excellent in any color. I liked my cab best when it was black, but I cannot say it looks bad now in Ruby Red.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#23 Post by Adam Wright »

Martin Benade wrote:On the other hand, unless it is a really ugly color, a 356 looks excellent in any color. I liked my cab best when it was black, but I cannot say it looks bad now in Ruby Red.
Yeah, like pizza and other things in life, even when it's bad, it's still pretty good.
I just never liked the red, maybe growing up in the 80s when everyone was painting everything red kind of ruined it for me.
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#24 Post by Jim Nelson »

Vic Skirmants wrote:OK everybody. What color SHOULD Adam paint HIS car? I'm partial to Fjord Green, but a nice camo job would be more fitting.
Fjord is a great choice. I like my Smyrna green as well, but when I find a nice coupe to restore I may have to go with Stone Grey/green....maybe blue. Oatmeal carpet. 912 big bore, zeniths, one of Vic’s tall 4th gears, ....yeah

Steve Harrison
356 Fan

#25 Post by Steve Harrison »

Ok, well if we’re throwing out favorites,...I’d have to say this combo looks awfully James Bondian classy. Slate grey with red I believe.
And with the thru bumper exhausts...looks like it’s going a hundred MPH just sitting there.
Don’t think it would work as well on a non coupe car though.
1286CB93-96EF-4519-BA99-B464AB753D7D.jpeg
And when you say “tiger stripe silver” Adam,..that’s exactly what I’ve heard,..that that is one of the problems to watch out for with silver. It’s an issue with every paint really, due to the time that elapses between when the color is shot (and the pigment solids are in good suspension) and when it starts to fix. It’s in that small window where most of your issues crop up,...runs, drips, sheeting, fish eye, uniformity issues, etc. Some you can fix, some you can’t.

And BTW,..I think Silver is faster than Red.
Just saying...

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#26 Post by Adam Wright »

Steve Harrison wrote:Ok, well if we’re throwing out favorites,...I’d have to say this combo looks awfully James Bondian classy. Slate grey with red I believe.
And with the thru bumper exhausts...looks like it’s going a hundred MPH just sitting there.
Don’t think it would work as well on a non coupe car though.
The attachment 1286CB93-96EF-4519-BA99-B464AB753D7D.jpeg is no longer available
And when you say “tiger stripe silver” Adam,..that’s exactly what I’ve heard,..that that is one of the problems to watch out for with silver. It’s an issue with every paint really, due to the time that elapses between when the color is shot (and the pigment solids are in good suspension) and when it starts to fix. It’s in that small window where most of your issues crop up,...runs, drips, sheeting, fish eye, uniformity issues, etc. Some you can fix, some you can’t.

And BTW,..I think Silver is faster than Red.
Just saying...
I learned from the cars I painted that unless you can paint one car a month, you'll never get good. Everytime something goes wrong, and it's always something different, so impossible to get right, unless it becomes 2nd nature. But painting 1-2 cars a year will make for lots of headaches.
I painted one in slate a few years ago, it came out pretty good. Not sure what happened after, I sold it as a bare body to a guy.
Attachments
slateC.JPG
slateC.JPG (48.77 KiB) Viewed 1948 times
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Dan Kalinski
356 Fan

#27 Post by Dan Kalinski »

Two black in our collection. Both tough to keep clean but during the first 10 minutes or so after cleaning, they are beautiful.. Another close favorite is gun metal gray and think it is a perfect fit on the T-Bird.

All the other cars are either red, white or silver.
Attachments
222B28F3-3E1E-4C4B-AE0B-74DBA04D5CE7.jpeg

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#28 Post by Edwin Ek »

Ruby red is a gorgeous color- not like most reds. Deeper and richer. Your car is a different, brighter shade now.

I am in a similar boat. My Roadster was originally ruby red, but it was repainted a brighter red before I bought it. You can see a little of the original ruby red in places. In general, red is my least favorite color, but not ruby red. Have a look at some cars in ruby red before you take the plunge.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#29 Post by Martin Benade »

Mine is 2001 Audi Amuletred which I think is closer to Ruby than a lot of formulas that claim to be correct.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#30 Post by Adam Wright »

Edwin Ek wrote:Ruby red is a gorgeous color- not like most reds. Deeper and richer. Your car is a different, brighter shade now.

I am in a similar boat. My Roadster was originally ruby red, but it was repainted a brighter red before I bought it. You can see a little of the original ruby red in places. In general, red is my least favorite color, but not ruby red. Have a look at some cars in ruby red before you take the plunge.
Nope, any red is too red for me.
www.unobtanium-inc.com