Off to the paint shop!

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

Re: Off to the paint shop!

#121 Post by Adam Wright »

Martin Benade wrote:Now that you have raised the bar you will need a perfect set of Rudges - a big change to the budget.
It's a slippery slope, now the patina interior is going to look weird too, and then there is the flat floors....
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

#122 Post by Geoff Fleming »

Hmmm...with those problems, I'd better take it off your hands. My offer of $5,000. still stands. ( Of course, I expect you to deliver it at your expense.) Act now, avoid disappointment!

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#123 Post by Adam Wright »

Geoff Fleming wrote:Hmmm...with those problems, I'd better take it off your hands. My offer of $5,000. still stands. ( Of course, I expect you to deliver it at your expense.) Act now, avoid disappointment!
Ok, but are you still going to sell me the Carrera?
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#124 Post by Adam Wright »

Update, doors back on, decklid/hood next, then reassembly continues. Picking up Monday.
Attachments
104.JPG
103.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#125 Post by Adam Wright »

Panels fit like they've never fit before, at least since I've owned the car.
Attachments
105.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Mark Sabbann
356 Fan

#126 Post by Mark Sabbann »

Adam Wright wrote:It's a slippery slope, now the patina interior is going to look weird too, and then there is the flat floors....
You mean you didn't plan on a faux patina exterior to go with the real patina interior?? It coulda been cool Adam, I don't know...
Mark Sabbann
1964 SC Coupe 'Essy'
1965 C Coupe 'The Yellow Delicious'

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#127 Post by Adam Wright »

Mark Sabbann wrote:
Adam Wright wrote:It's a slippery slope, now the patina interior is going to look weird too, and then there is the flat floors....
You mean you didn't plan on a faux patina exterior to go with the real patina interior?? It coulda been cool Adam, I don't know...
I sort of did, rather than go with a base coat clear coat I decided on a single stage enamel. I figured it wouldn't look all super shiny and over-restored like most of the 356's you see now.
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#128 Post by Martin Benade »

It is really single stage enamel? What brand? Your painter is talented if he can make that look good. 30+ years ago, I could do it sometimes, but not every time.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#129 Post by Adam Wright »

Ok, on the home stretch! Finished most of the car today at Brandon's, the car made it back to Unobtanium HQ late tonight. Tomorrow final work of bumpers, last of the side spears, and door guts, then on to Ocean City!!!!!
Attachments
106.jpg
107.jpg
108.jpg
109.jpg
110.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#130 Post by Joris Koning »

Looking awesome A
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

#131 Post by Geoff Fleming »

If anyone was going to make the deadline, I knew it would be you!

Excellent advice on the windshield sign...some years ago, I stripped an elderly friend's '64 cab in preparation for painting...all but the windshield was removed. I arrived the next afternoon, after work, to remove the glass and found the painter's had come a day early for the car. Of course, they broke the windshield trying to 'save the seal'.!!! This was a car the owner had purchased in 1965 and had not yet seen 50,000 miles on the odo. Windshield was a perfect original without a blemish. The shop also broke a replacement windshield when trying to re-install it.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#132 Post by Adam Wright »

Geoff Fleming wrote:If anyone was going to make the deadline, I knew it would be you!

Excellent advice on the windshield sign...some years ago, I stripped an elderly friend's '64 cab in preparation for painting...all but the windshield was removed. I arrived the next afternoon, after work, to remove the glass and found the painter's had come a day early for the car. Of course, they broke the windshield trying to 'save the seal'.!!! This was a car the owner had purchased in 1965 and had not yet seen 50,000 miles on the odo. Windshield was a perfect original without a blemish. The shop also broke a replacement windshield when trying to re-install it.
The paint shop said it would be easier if they could remove the windshield and frame. Once I explained that known Porsche shops sometimes go through three windshields in Roadsters to try and get them to fit without cracking the shop quickly agreed this was the way to go. I also said do not use the frame to get out of the car. So he made the sign just to let everyone know, "DON'T TOUCH!!!"
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#133 Post by Adam Wright »

The only thing we ran out of time on was putting the new top on, I was confident we could put the old top back on, but wasn't up to the challenge of a new top.
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#134 Post by Adam Wright »

Running on nothing but midnight oil and caffeine! 98% done, I have to button up the interior in the morning, but plan to be on the road to the ECH by noon!
Attachments
111.jpg
113.jpg
114.jpg
115.jpg
115.jpg (121.49 KiB) Viewed 1348 times
116.jpg
117.jpg
118.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#135 Post by Adam Wright »

The car is back in the shop where I can finish out the details I skipped last week. Also, if you look closely you can see the poster that acted as inspiration for the car.
Attachments
120.jpg
121.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com