seat belts?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Bob Cannon
356 Fan

Re: seat belts?

#16 Post by Bob Cannon »

Here is a picture of seat belt mounts we installed in a 58 Cab currently under restoration, before the floor pans went in. The reinforcing plates were 1/8" steel bent to conform to the rear section and were welded on. The nuts (7/16" SAE fine thread) were then TIG welded to the plates. The placement was arbitrary, but similar to what was done in the B/C T6 cars. We also made a mounting point for a 3 piece belt in the back of the back seat. Obviously, this is not something you might want to do on your completed car, but it gives you an idea of an option as "non seat belt cars" are undergoing restoration. These mounts are much more secure than an hole through the bottom of the pan with a couple of washers.
IMG_4636.jpg
Another point about seat belts. Although your car may not have come with them, they are considered a "Safety Item" in most Concours judging rules and you should not loose points because of non-authenticity. Pebble Beach may be an exception, but those cars are seldom driven. So, put them in.... :wink:
Bob Cannon
Sacramento, CA

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#17 Post by Mike Wilson »

Very nice and clean!

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Al Zim
356 Fan

#18 Post by Al Zim »

In the factory shop manual at the end of the manual there is a section for installing seat belts. READ THIS! You will also notice how to install the shoulder harness. In the later T-6 cars they have a provision installation for the shoulder harness. This is an 8 MM bolt which is attached to the car on a pedestal device that hold it off the body sheet metal. The shear on the 8MM bolt is half of a seat belt bolts. Why did the factory do this when they were using the stronger bolt on the belt portion and they recommend the larger bole tin the shop manual? If you hit something hard with the front of your car, the steering shaft and wheel will impale your chest if your upper body is not strongly anchored. In a 356 your legs will probably be broken. I would install new seat belts and replace them as they approach 10 years old if the car is garaged. The government replaces critical seat belts on a 5 year basis. al zim 800.356.2964 al@allzim.com
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Xavier Lepert
356 Fan

#19 Post by Xavier Lepert »

Having done the work according to the above recommendations I have difficulties to find the proper harness due to the necessary length of the lap strap from one eye bolt to the other (170 cm, 67”).
Any suggestions of supplier will be appreciated.
Many thanks in advance.
Hervé

Xavier Lepert
356 Fan

#20 Post by Xavier Lepert »

BTW the seats are of the RS Nurburgring type which explains the distance from eye bolt to the other.

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#21 Post by David Jones »

Herve, I am betting these folks will supply you with what you need. All my cars have belts from them.
http://www.andoauto.com
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Xavier Lepert
356 Fan

#22 Post by Xavier Lepert »

Thank you

Tom Wavrin
356 Fan

Seat belts?

#23 Post by Tom Wavrin »

IMG_0585.JPG
Shel, the following images are from my '60 shop manual: The seat belts attached to shackles, later superseded by eye head bolts.
This should give you an idea for measuring placement. I bent/form fitted the large washers in a vise which worked well.
Attachments
IMG_0586-2.JPG
Tom, Reg # 10576, Oregon
'62 1600S Karmann HT