A parts vendor

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

Re: A parts vendor

#16 Post by Jim Liberty »

I am used to paying for return freight. I understand the "Out of pocket" expense for them. If satisfaction is the problem, just stop doing business with the offender. Quite frankly, I can't think of any vendors that I have a problem with. And, I deal with most. Jim.
Jim Liberty

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#17 Post by Dan Epperly »

Craig Richter wrote:My experience is that JB Weld is not affected by gas/ethanol. Repaired floats are in service 10 years and still float.

I've come across plenty of gas tanks with Jb weld repairs.

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#18 Post by Bruce Smith »

Though I don't know who is manufacturing them, I believe new Solex floats originate from a single source. They might even be old stock replacements. We've tested a bunch from an Italian supplier, Carburatori-Italia. Of about a dozen we tested, several leaked right away and others leaked after being submerged for several months. The ONLY Solex floats that can be trusted right now are the originals, sourced from parts carbs. I've found that ABS cement doesn't hold up but epoxies like JB Weld might. If it were a leaking float in my own carb, I'd try JB Weld and keep an eye on it. But I can't risk it on others carbs.

Whoever your vendor is Lans, cut him a little slack. Finding good Solex floats has been frustrating for everyone. Though I agree they might have offered a better solution for a refund.
Bruce Smith

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#19 Post by Dick Weiss »

Sealing the float can be done w/the same "stuff" for sealing fuel tanks; Also, I used it to seal the old fuel sender's cork float
to keep it from falling apart--until the plastic float solved that problem! Just don't over do it which can change the weight
BTW, never had a problem w/JB Weld over the years.

Dick Douglass
356 Fan

#20 Post by Dick Douglass »

Is JB Weld SteelStik a solution? 2 oz tube available at Home Depot