A parts vendor

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
lans stout
356 Fan

A parts vendor

#1 Post by lans stout »

I am posting the following information so that all of you can make your own decision about doing business with a certain vendor. I will not provide that vendor’s name here, but will give it to you in response to a personal email to lstout2@frontier.com.

I recently purchased two new floats for the PII-40 Solexes on my S90. Within a short time one of them filled with fuel and sank. I called the vendor and was told to send it back and it would be replaced. After doing so I emailed the UPS receipt and asked for confirmation that my return shipping cost would be reimbursed along with the replacement float. After several emails, it was clear that the vendor was not taking responsibility for the failed part and felt no obligation to do anything but send a new one. I had no option but to relent and write off the $10.41 shipping cost.

After a couple of weeks I called to find out status and was told that he believed the fuel had attacked the glue holding the two halves together, and that he would refund my cost rather than replace the float. I did receive a check for the amount of one float. Upon asking what to do with the second float, which presumably will also fail, I was told I could send it back for a refund.

I replied noting that if I did that I would be out my original shipping cost plus the cost of sending the two back, which would total $40.07, or on the other hand, I could just toss the second float in the trash and be into the whole thing $52.26. I asked what he would do as the customer in this case. The answer was “Well that’s up to you…”. I do not have time to deal with this any further, and will just figure that I wasted $52.26 on the experience.

My advice is don’t do business with this vendor. E-mail me if you want the business name.
Lans Stout

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: A parts vendor

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

My personal opinion: divulge the name of the vendor and they have the opportunity to respond.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#3 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi Ians
i think Carb Rescue had a problem with floats but they had it rectified. Some vendors stand behind what they sell but others can only rely on their suppliers. It would be ideal if all the parts were available and perfectly suited for the application but we are not there yet. Give your vendor a chance and if he doesn't respond to your satisfaction don't patronize him at least your car did not burn to the ground.
j

lans stout
356 Fan

#4 Post by lans stout »

I decided I would not put this vendor's name on my post because my mission is only to inform those who may be interested. With respect to giving him a chance, he had several opportunities to rectify the situation but in the end my value as a customer to him clearly was not worth the cost of shipping those floats back, so I have no reason to do business with him again.

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#5 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi Ians
i think we are all interested if he is a usual vendor but we will probably not email you for the name. The way i look at it you should only have to be out $10.41 if you had returned the 2 floats the first time. yes he should help you out and give back the $52.26 when he receives the other float. If he is a savvy vendor he could probably save you hundreds if you were a "good" customer and give him a chance.
j

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#6 Post by Dick Weiss »

Years ago I had a couple Solex floats leaking, and drilling a tiny hole on the upper surface and 'shake/drain' them dry,
I sealed the hole w/JB Weld, cleaned off any access, and checked the weight to be right on to the specs--and no leaks.
No problem w/the float adjustment.

Craig Richter
356 Fan

#7 Post by Craig Richter »

Dick, I've done the same many times. There's a big difference between parts changers and problem solvers.

E Rutherford
356 Fan

#8 Post by E Rutherford »

I didn't think that the Solex float was even available new? Love to know who is making them.

ed
klasse356.com

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#9 Post by David Jones »

Ed, here is one vendor. I have bought from him and he is so far very reliable.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-912-SO ... 3d2d3d1a86
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#10 Post by Martin Benade »

I have bought from him once and was satisfied.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Dick Douglass
356 Fan

#11 Post by Dick Douglass »

I think the vendor did as promised. After the fact you asked for a refund on freight. The vendor didn't offer free freight in the original agreement. Like the vendor said if you want to return the second float go ahead and you received a check for the first one so I assume the vendor will stand by his word and send a check for the second one.
We do not need to know the name of the vendor.
The vendor is in the parts business and the profit on this order is long gone.

In business, returns are always costly and sometimes a customer must weigh the cost to return an item if they have to pay the freight. Common practice. The vendor must receive the item back and process a return credit or replacement or refund. I think the vendor practices good customer service by delivering on what they agreed to do in a timely manner.

In fact if you want go ahead and tell us which vendor took the time to handle your complaint in a timely manner and tried to satisfy a customer with an item worth less than $ 100.00.

Amazon and other offer a return practice where you contact customer service and they send you a label to return the item. If this was not offered up front how can you ask for it later?

Ben Wainscott
356 Fan

#12 Post by Ben Wainscott »

Dick,
The leak I had in my float was at the seam. I understood from JB Weld that there epoxy would not hold up to ethanol in fuel. Did you do anything to seal the leak that caused your float to leak? Also do you remember which JB product you used?

Thanks (I've got a couple of dead floats).
Ben Wainscott
65 SC S/R coupe
89 911 Carrera
63 Vespa 150
80 Vespa P200e

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#13 Post by Martin Benade »

Dick Weiss, I am surprised that JB weld would stay sealed permanently. It does? Dick Douglass, a good vendor will place importance in customer service over losing ten dollars. In my business I certainly do. As a customer if I bought defective goods I would be mad if they charged me for return shipping, and I would name them in a second.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

tony apcar
356 Fan

#14 Post by tony apcar »

Found this...it might help.....
Attachments
IMG_0749[1].JPG
anthony apcar

Craig Richter
356 Fan

#15 Post by Craig Richter »

My experience is that JB Weld is not affected by gas/ethanol. Repaired floats are in service 10 years and still float.