Speaker and Grille Identification Help

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
charlesbennett
356 Fan

Speaker and Grille Identification Help

#1 Post by charlesbennett »

Speakers Unknown Backside Front and Outside Grills.JPG
Please see the attached speakers. Were these used in a 356 or 356A car? The speakers most definitely fit perfectly, but I'm not sure if this type of grille was used in a 356 or 356A. Any idea of what they should be sold for? It's time they go to someone who can use them. The latches are soldered together with the clips missing. Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
Charlie Bennett

Jan Kolm
356 Fan

Re: Speaker and Grille Identification Help

#2 Post by Jan Kolm »

These are Philips "Trop" speakers/grilles, installed on 356s through 1961 model year with Philips and Becker radios, and possibly other non-Blaupunkt makes, as well.
Jan Kolm
356 Registry #1066
1960 1600N Coupe

Craig Richter
356 Fan

#3 Post by Craig Richter »

Often referred to as "race track" grills, versus earlier "football" grills. Very hard to find nice "race track" grills these days, especially with the under piece they clip to, and the unique wire mesh.

Alex Mestas
356 Fan
Tag: It’s only a hobby.

#4 Post by Alex Mestas »

Track style speaker grilles (2-3 variations) were used until very early 1959 without any cloth.

Football style speaker grilles, with the tan/beige and gold strips cloth, were used from early 1959 thru T-5

Round speaker grilles were used from 1962 to late 1963

Hexagon speaker grilles, with cloth (sorta round) were used from very late 63 thru '65.
1963 356 T-6 Coupe Signal Red.
1973.5 911 T Coupe Ivory.
1989 911 Carrera Targa Grd Prix White.

Mike Smith
356 Fan
Tag: Its Only for Fun

#5 Post by Mike Smith »

The small clip, at the bottom, that holds them together is also often missing

PR Services, in the UK, can supply this item
Mike Smith (Essex - UK)

Jan Kolm
356 Fan

#6 Post by Jan Kolm »

Alex Mestas wrote:Track style speaker grilles (2-3 variations) were used until very early 1959 without any cloth.

Football style speaker grilles, with the tan/beige and gold strips cloth, were used from early 1959 thru T-5

Round speaker grilles were used from 1962 to late 1963

Hexagon speaker grilles, with cloth (sorta round) were used from very late 63 thru '65.
A little myth busting here...

Both the "race track" (Philips) and "football" (Blaupunkt) speakers/grilles were installed on 356A and 356B/T5 cars, depending on the brand of radio installed.

The same applies with the round (Philips) and semi-square (Blaupunkt) grilles on T6 cars.

I'm sure mismatching has occurred over the years between radios/speaker brands, given the scarcity of original parts and fitting whatever's available.

Most of these radios were installed as kits at the factory or dealer, with Blaupunkt speakers supplied with Blaupunkt radios and Philips speakers supplied with most of the other brands offered. I have never seen what was installed with the Bendix/Motorola Sapphire kit.
Jan Kolm
356 Registry #1066
1960 1600N Coupe

Steve Douglas
356 Fan

#7 Post by Steve Douglas »

The race track style are in my '59 coupe, but were added by owner in Germany October of 1959, as well as a Q series Frankfurt Radio. The original speakers didn't have any brand marking. The chrome frame is one piece, so must be brazed together at the joint. I replaced the original grey fabric with something similar, but think maybe it should be tan??? The '58 coupe had the ones with the snap latch that tightened the frame onto a backing plate, and no fabric on the screen.
Attachments
Speaker - racetrack .jpg

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#8 Post by Joris Koning »

I agree with Jan. As he says, there are always anomalies out there. My '59 cab with all original interior has a Becker Europa radio (on the Kardex) and the football shaped grills with the cloth.

On the race track ones, I believe the original grills had a grayish flocking. A friend of mine who makes the reproduction glove boxes helped me duplicate this detail on my '57 Carrera. I still have several original grills which show traces of the material.
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

Craig Richter
356 Fan

#9 Post by Craig Richter »

My early '60 Coupe, family owned since '65, came with one-piece race tracks. I do vaguely remember some flocking, but that disappeared decades ago. Also had a '58 once that used the race tracks with connecting clips. As you guys know, none of this is gospel, just more reference points...

Jan Kolm
356 Fan

#10 Post by Jan Kolm »

For what it's worth, the steel mesh grilles that came with the Philips speakers are made from the exact same material found behind the chrome speaker grilles of oval-window VWs. The "flocking" appears to be some sort of zinc-rich coating. I think it was applied as a rust preventative.
Jan Kolm
356 Registry #1066
1960 1600N Coupe

ThibautBoey
356 Fan
Tag: Thibaut

#11 Post by ThibautBoey »

Hi All,
I found a pair "race track" speakers for my 58 coupe. like you can se there holding together with screws this is not like it should be "i suppose".
Is there som catalogue/technical drawing for those speakers? So i can se wat type of clips they need.
Can find info on the internet.

thanks,
Thibaut
Attachments
IMG_1272.jpg
IMG_1271.jpg
IMG_1270.jpg
IMG_1268.jpg
IMG_1267.jpg
Thibaut,

Looking for engine #35176

Benjamin Abraham
356 Fan

#12 Post by Benjamin Abraham »

Does anyone have the grills, frames or speakers that ThibautBoey has photos of above? I am looking for a set. Please send me an email. Thank you, Benjamin